Giant redwoods UK!!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I was on my way to work this morning and a segment came on the radio which absolutely gobsmacked me.

It stated that there are more giant redwoods in the UK than there are in the whole of California!! And by a long way too.

I honestly thought that giant redwoods thrived in California due to the fantastic year round climate. I had no idea they'd even survive in the UK, let alone thrive, which they are indeed doing.

Although the largest UK redwoods dwarf the other surrounding UK trees, they are still a long long way from matching the gargantuan size of their Californian cousins.

But this is only because they are still relatively very young, maybe 150-200 years. When they eventually reach maturity they will indeed be true monsters.

I was absolutely stunned by this information, I literally had no idea that redwoods were even over here.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
UK and NorCal have very similar
Climates, dreary, a few degrees colder than comfortable, and lack of sun.

Reactions: tlindsey

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I was on my way to work this morning and a segment came on the radio which absolutely gobsmacked me.

It stated that there are more giant redwoods in the UK than there are in the whole of California!! And by a long way too.

I honestly thought that giant redwoods thrived in California due to the fantastic year round climate. I had no idea they'd even survive in the UK, let alone thrive, which they are indeed doing.

Although the largest UK redwoods dwarf the other surrounding UK trees, they are still a long long way from matching the gargantuan size of their Californian cousins.

But this is only because they are still relatively very young, maybe 150-200 years. When they eventually reach maturity they will indeed be true monsters.

I was absolutely stunned by this information, I literally had no idea that redwoods were even over here.

We have a lot of california redwoods here in NZ too. Was apparently a bunch of forestry blocks around the country planted with them 100-200 years ago. But it was found that they grow too fast in NZ compared to California so end up being much softer wood. No good for construction.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Over here apparently it’s nice and wet to grow but they won’t reproduce …………. I guess that’s a lack of that thing they call “sunshine”! (And I always thought it was just a grandads name for any child grandson ……. “Nah then sunshine!”

Reactions: esoxlucius

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Over here apparently it’s nice and wet to grow but they won’t reproduce
Yes, I've been doing a little more reading up on this. Apparently they prefer damper conditions which is why they're thriving over here. In their native California they aren't doing well at all, it's too warm for them and the all too common forest fires are threatening them too.

However, they require specific conditions to seed, which is where we fail miserably. The only chance new seedlings have in the UK is if they're planted by us, they can't grow naturally! Apparently though we are planting more and more so their numbers are on the up.

In a few hundred years time the giant redwoods of California may be gone, and we may well have done impressive forests of our own!

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
They won’t let us have hi fin Chinese carp or channel catfish but they will happily plant non native trees that grow 90m tall (as impressive as they would look), sometimes I forget who makes up the rules we play by.

Reactions: esoxlucius

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
"A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit.”

I've always admired that adage.

But, Esox, I'm a bit confused as to how you were unaware of these monsters. I mean...can't you pretty much see all of England from almost any one spot? I'd have thought that very little transpired on your quaint little island that was very secret...:)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
But, Esox, I'm a bit confused as to how you were unaware of these monsters. I mean...can't you pretty much see all of England from almost any one spot?
This is true. But when you're only 4ft 3" and you have a 6ft fence it can limit ones panoramic outlook somewhat! Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store