Giant Slender Mahseer

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've been concentrating in the past couple years on fish species that tolerate or even require seasonal temperature variations, and it sounds like these fish might fall into that category?

If so, maybe you should consider not only temperature extremes but also the time spent at those temperatures. I have started provide some supplemental heat to fish which, on paper at least, don't need it. My concern is that with a much longer cold season like I have, the cooling "rest" period is several months long, which may be longer than they are adapted to experience. As fall moves into winter, and then again in early spring, I apply some heat so that my Gymnogeophagus, Garra and other seasonal fish are only at the coldest end of their temperature range for about three months, instead of the 5 or 6 they would otherwise be stuck with if kept at ambient basement temperatures.

I don't know how important this is, if at all. Certainly it can be inconvenient; if too much heat is applied, I have had some breeding activity occurring much later in fall and earlier in spring than I had hoped for or expected. And of course, I don't know how long your cold season would be in your locale; just something I thought to throw out there for your consideration. :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hard to say for these mahseer. Need to read more. They seem to live in warm, lowland water then take a spawning migration in the rainy season up the river, that turns torrential, to small, clear, colder tributaries, or so I gather from the reading. IDK how much colder those tributaries are. If they are high up the Himalayas and glacier-fed, then the water can be icy cold. I don't think they stay there for long.

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Thank you jjohnwm jjohnwm and thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter for both your guys’ feed back. I don’t think they could survive a freeze over. I’m still learning about these fish but I doubt that they could. Where I am, my pond would get some ice, and it’s less than ideal $ wise and efficiency wise to heat a pond for months on end. The pond they are in now stays around 74 in winter and rises during our rainy season to nearly 85.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store