Glasscages = Rude

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
I was going to go with glasscages but after reading this thread I'm just going to go with a locally owned fish store. The way I see it I can see the product before I buy it and if I get it home and it leaks or has problems the seller can't hide hundreds of miles away and refuse to back their product up. I'm not saying glasscages doesn't make a quality product, but for me anyways there's enough of a commotion around them not to even bother. Especially since I'm fortunate enough to have alternative options.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Just out of curiousity, were any of the negative posts in this thread posted by actual glasscages tank owners? I'm not disputing the fact that some people on here spoke to them and said they were rude. I can't argue that and have no intentions of trying to even though I had the opposite experience.

Deepsouth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Montgomery, Alabama
I think out of the 22 pages there were like only 4 people that had a problem. I think most of the pages are the same people arguing back and forth.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Deepsouth;3039327; said:
I think out of the 22 pages there were like only 4 people that had a problem. I think most of the pages are the same people arguing back and forth.
If I wasn't so lazy I would go back and try to find those four. It's always nice to be able to be able to seperate facts from heresay.

I've got to say, I was scared to death while I was waiting for my tank to arrive. I kept reading all kinds of negative things about the company and their tanks, it was very hard to differentiate between fact and fiction. I can't start to tell you how relieved I was after I removed the box and saw the tank for the first time.

Keep in mind I am not trying to talk anyone into purchasing a tank from glass cages. I'm not trying to be a jerk but it really doesn't make a bit of difference to me what company anyone buys a tank from. The only thing I want is for everyone to be happy with their tank wherever they choose to get it.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
reverse;3038633; said:
Just think how much more you could have contributed to this thread if you had actually had SOME (any) interaction with Glasscages................it boggles the mind.:ROFL:

have any of you actually seen what is out there on other fish forums like reefcentral, reefs.org etc. about glasscages?

just curious.

no one posted any links to problem threads, but you would be quite amazed..and I dont believe for a minute that other hobbyists on well known boards are BSing everyone..there is just way way too many threads all having the same sort of problems..

after reading what is out there from fellow hobbyists, I chose not to have any interaction with them..:)

don't lose sight of why this thread was started in the first place...

Lantz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2009
Alabama
I just got back from Dickson TN where I picked up my 72x18x25 for $303

I met with Tom the owner and he talked with me and my wife for over an hour, he gave a tour of the business, Normally not done. He was as nice as could be!

I was VERY impressed, they are no mom and pop shop as a matter a fact they really are geared toward the manufacturing wholesale end.

Tom said he discourages people from coming to the building to "shop" as they are NOT a retail store but to let people save shipping costs allows them to pick up tanks there.

Deepsouth Im in Alabama too and really hate that one of them was rude to you, Tom did mention that they are so busy that getting to the phones sometimes is their biggest challenge which is a good place to be when in business. He said the manufacturing side runs flawlessly but he needs help on the phone answering tech questions while hes on the road so when I started reading this thread i understood where you were probably coming from ;)

Back to the manufacturing shop! man I was drooling on all the glass :drool: there were sooooo many HUGH tank everywhere! they were building for the EPA for environmental testing. Disney World, Bush Gardens... you name it! I was expecting a 1 man shop :WHOA:

Here's my tank, the silicone is 2 days old now, it needs to cure for 3 weeks so the wait will give the cabinet shop time to build the stand and canopy. I wonder how many people that have problems didnt head the wait time for a custom built tank :shakehead

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I have heard it mentioned that glass cages ships tanks before they are fully cured, and apparently shifting of the glass while the silicone is plyable has been blamed for a few of the problems out there.

makes sense I guess.

most manufacturers won't send a tank until it has cured fully first.

nice looking tank. what size is that beast?

Lantz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2009
Alabama
Yeah they really wanted me to wait at least a week before pickup but I was In Nashville delivering House Plans soooo I was gentle with it, they had it wrapped very tight in shrink wrap and you can still see some of the clear tape that was all over it to help during shipping.

Its a 135 Gallon, am in need of lots of help with Lighting, filtration (FX5 ?) and everything else so I will post some questions in the right sub forums.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
DEEPSOUTH, who is this shop you bought from? I would love to get a quote. GC quoted me 600 for a 72x18x17 with 4 1 1/2 bulkheads, saphire front, and 1/2 glass bottom.

I am about to order and would be interested in other qoutes.

sardesign

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2007
phoenix
well i did buy my 100 gallon wide from them. picked it up at a truck drop location they had in Flagstaff so i didn't have to pay shipping. they probably aren't the friendliest people in the world but i would imagine they get a ton of people everyday complaining about shipping or just asking too many questions. that's not an excuse to be rude, but i'm sure it probably gets old. they weren't rude to me, and the tank i got is great. the silicone job is messy on the inside but you don't notice it after the gravel and water go in. they do build a mean tank though... built like an armored vehicle.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store