Going salt actually coral reef...need a little help

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Thanks man...yea there is 2 10k bulbs on this odyessa im just switching one of them to the blue that I bought...thanks for the advice on the coral and rock I will definetly remember that...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
Actinic is very good for coral. it's not the best for direct growth, but it gives it a more full wavelength to photosynthesize. 10,000k is a very white light, and you will lose a lot of the pretty colors you see on the corals. When you go and see these beautiful coral aquariums they generally have a white wavelength of 20,000k, which is more blue. For a 30 gallon tank you need more than just a two bulb fixture anyway. I'd junk the light or return it and get something better. You can fine awesome deals on craigslist and different reef forums.

Zoas are the clusters of tiny polyps. Mushrooms are just that, they are colorful mushrooms of different textures. They are both soft corals so they don't need a ton of flow which is helpful. I'd have about 600gph flowing through the tank, maybe using two smaller powerheads going in different directions.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Ok ill return the bulb the odyessa ive had over a year and only used it once...what light should I get?? 600 gph spilt between 2 powerhead sounds good to me and yes I like the colorful ones that grow in bunchs and also the ones that looks like hair moving lol dont know the name yet

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
In terms of a light, if you want to stick with T5s then the options are endless. You can get a 4 bulb T5 fixture from ebay. I personally prefer LEDs because the lifetime costs are much cheaper.

If you're into DIY they have cheap LED components on ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectr...178?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d558a23a

That is the best bang for buck. One of these over the tank will provide enough light for anything you ever decide to get, and make sure you see every color as its supposed to be seen. They have just white and blue ones for a $30-ish savings as well, but they both would be perfect for that size tank.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Im in the construction trade so im definetly a do it yourselfer...the led system on ebay sounds like the way I should go...I will keep this thread updated...just 1 more question for now tho, next week or so im going to be buying the salt...whats the best salt to use at a decent price??

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
For what you plan on keeping, you can get the simple stuff, instant ocean. For a little more you can get their "Reef Crystals" version which has a little higher calcium and alk, but for what you want I wouldn't worry about it.

If (actually, its a when for corals, just letting you know ;)) you get into harder corals I'd potentially upgrade to Reef Crystals all the time, and the more hard corals you have I'd either start dosing or get Red Sea Coral Pro salt, but that'll be down the road a ways anyway :)

Just an FYI, I've been keeping coral tanks for over 10 years. I am currently tankless having moved, but am about to set up a 300 gallon predator style salt tank.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
I would do predator if I had a bigger tank so for now it will be coral...I believe you that youve had coral for some years I appreciate you helping me out...I got the protein skimmer from a friend last night its a sea clone 100 but it needs to be cleaned up a little and a new sponge which is nothing...

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
FYI, those things are pretty terrible. It may do the job, but there are WAY better skimmers out there. It will need a long time to get adjusted and let microbubbles into the tank like crazy.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Oh I also found something I wanted...it only gets 5 inchs and is reef safe...its a dragonface pipefish...up until now ive been a freshwater guy and I know in fw its a certain amount of fish you can to keep the bioload sustained...is it the same with salt?? All I really want besides coral is a good clean up crew minus snails, a red or green mandarin goby, that pipefish and 1 fish that will be king of the tank (undecided only cause dont really know what can fit in a 30g)...would all that be ok??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store