Going salt actually coral reef...need a little help

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
Pipefish are very similar to seahorses in that they need to be in a species only or be the most aggressive fish in the tank. You can keep the mandarin and the pipefish, but anything else with it will bully and out-compete it for food.

Most saltwater fish have a minimum tank requirement. Pipefish isn't very highm and niether are mandarins, but a 30 gallon tank is very limited on the type of fish that can be kept safely and happily. More often that not your bioload is nowhere near the maximum, but that your tank is too small for the inhabitants. Live rock when fully cured does wonders for natural filtration.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
I went by my lfs today and saw a good looking tang called the kole tang...can a kole tang and a dragonface pipefish co exist or would I be better off getting maybe 2 pipefish instead??

Sent from my SPH-L900 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
I went by my lfs today and saw a good looking tang called the kole tang...can a kole tang and a dragonface pipefish co exist or would I be better off getting maybe 2 pipefish instead??
If you want Pipefish, stick with only Pipefish. Picky eaters, and only do well with more docile fish. Best to be kept as a species only tank. Plus a Khole tank needs at least 55-Gallons worth of space - and that's really not much at all.

A pair of Pipefish would be cool - could even try a species of Dwarf Seahorse. In time of course; saltwater is not something that should be rushed.

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
Like I said before, pipefish and a mandarin, yes, they don't compete for food. Pipefish and ANYTHING else, no. Keep in mind that pipefish are just as difficult to keep as seahorses. I still consider seahorses out of my realm of capabilities.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
Ok im thinking maybe i should do pipefish later on when im more experienced...I have all the time in the world to come up with which fish so ill just chill out for now and focus and getting the tank started up...I really appreciate all the help

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Ive always been the cichlid type but feel I need something new so why not a reef tank...its not setup yet but I have 30 gallon 36" long tank with an odyessa t5ho and an emperor280 filter and a fluval heater...thats all I have right now...I know I will need live sand and live rock and also a protein skimmer...once I get those where do I go from there?? All help and advice is greatly appreciated

Well first I would get a great book about saltwater tanks and reef keeping first so you can get a general outlook at what you will be approaching then I would figure location of tank and maybe start a list of corals that down the road you would like to keep as well as inverts and your fish. That being said once you get that first step then you can get a nice thought of what equipment you will need with any saltwater tank yes I would do 30 pounds of sand you don't have to get live you'll spend extra for what the microfauna will populate for you from the live rock which I do 1lb per gallon as well for live rock once you get that going let it cycle don't rush the longer you have the tank with live rock and sand the more you'll get all the small microfauna you'll need that will help with your reef tank down the road. If you need more help private message me

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
I just subscribed to a magazine called coral and ive been doing ALOT of research on coral and been reading about alot of fish...so your saying I can cycle a salt water tank with just live sand and live rock or just letting it run will be better for me to do before cycling??

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
I just subscribed to a magazine called coral and ive been doing ALOT of research on coral and been reading about alot of fish...so your saying I can cycle a salt water tank with just live sand and live rock or just letting it run will be better for me to do before cycling??
You do not *need* live sand - just any kind of sand will do, I've used a fine grain play-sand in a few tanks; much cheaper and larger quantities. Over time it will become "live sand" - focus more on the live rock. The main source of your beneficial bacteria will be from that live rock, which will eventually help to make your own live sand.
Otherwise yes, all you need is the rock, and let the tank sit and do its own thing. The more live rock, the better the results. Took my 20-Gallon over a month to fully cycle after I had added more live rock during the last week. Definitely sped up the process by adding more to the tank.

CrazyLegz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bay Area,CA
I already bought the live sand so im just going to stick with it but ima make a frag tank way later down the road ill just get regular sand for that tank...thanks man

Buying salt today and they have instant ocean reef crystals on sale for 15.99 for a 50 gallon bag...the one next to it is kordons, has anybody used that salt? Is it good? It has the water conditioner already added to it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store