Good (and Bad) Beginner Fish

rangedg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Alabama
I have a question, I am a beginner and started a 55 gal community tank, all the fish are peaceful like guppies and corys and tetras etc. I like those killifish is it ok to put killis in a community tanks? I heard somthing about them being aggressive, the kind im looking at are nothos and aphosy-howeveryouspellthat.

hazmat101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2006
NH
yeah... i kinda wish i read that befor i got into fish... people always have said ive done things backwards.
nice info.

HiGhTiMeZ

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Montreal, Canada
www.friendster.com
im sure theres lot of good infos on that post and im pretty much sure the thread starter just wanted to help. thanks!
but yeah, i stopped at ur avatar. :( its so freaking loooooooooooooooooong!!! its scary!

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
It's amazing what useful information you can find in print if you just put aside the notion that all of it is outdated nonsence. I can't count the number of times I've been told on this board that the only REAL information is what you find on-line... Books are for morons I belive was one of the quotes...
Strange that so many of the people we admire and go out of our way to talk to and listen to all have such great aquitic liberarys...
None of them are ever 100% nor will they ever be....but they are FAR more reliable and well thaught out than the ramblings of instant...internet....experts...
Don't get me wrong here...this is a great site with a wealth of information and some really promising younger members but ....
15-17 years old....two whole years of expierance...and a computer....are NOT the sort of credentials I want to see on a guest speaker list...

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
I'd have to agree with you Wolf3101, I sometimes wonder how many people take places like public forums to be 100% fact. A person should always do their own research and if they get conflicting arguments either do more research or pick the side that makes more sense to them.
BUT, on the flip side, there are lots of very helpful people (with decades or only months of experience) on forums that can help in an instant. I have read many time (esp in PFK) that public forums (except for their own of course) are dangerous and should only be taken as gospel. Of course while your waiting for your question that you email in to be printed in next months issue your fish die from what ever problem you had. To often I see questions like "My power cut out and my BB died, now what". Well you should have jumped on a forum, got some helpful hints and fixed the problem instead of waiting up to 4wks for your question to (maybe) be published.

As for the article, newbies are usually after quick anwsers on the internet and most people wont spend the same time reading a web page as they will a book (internet is ment to be fast). So if you are writing information for a target audience it should also apeal to the audience (you don't write novels for 4yr olds). I feel although it is helpful with many great tips, as stated, it was too long winded and maybe a crop job may be needed to add extra apeal.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I would have agreed to the cropping argument in this context if in fact the poster had been the auther....but thats not the case so it was best presented the way it was written. I do agree that this and other forums can be a great place to pick up instant feedback and even helpful information in an emergancy situation but I question the fact that so many people come to rely it that they don't bother to learn the basics for themselves or make sure they plan in advance for a disaster of the kind you mentioned.

I know that several times I've mentioned having a sane stocking level and a back up plan for power outages only to recieve the reply..."Our power never goes out so I'd rather spend the money on more fish." or "None of my fish have died and I do massive water changes so why bother to test the water."
I think this is the dark side of the internet rearing it's ugly head. What's ment as a great storehouse of information has become a crutch in much the same way that calculators slowly replaced learning math skills.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Long?

Do people have THAT short of an attention span? If a beginning fish keeper can't spend just a few minutes reading that kind of information maybe they shouldn't be keeping fish! That article pretty much had the bare minimum of information that you should know if you're planning on setting up a fish tank. I can see someone like an experienced fishkeeper not taking the time to read all the way through that since they'd already know all of the info, but a beginner shouldn't have trouble at all.

Wow, I'm not surprised, but a bit horrified that some people find it that hard to read an article of this length. Kind of explains why so many people come on here asking questions that could be easily obtained by a bit of simple research and reading. I guess it's a good thing there's a thing called the internet, because god forbid some of you had to figure out how to use a book. :screwy:

That said, good article, pretty informative for someone that might be looking into setting up their first tank.

SamG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
Arizona
It took less time to read than getting ready to do a water change. I guess that those who complained feel that beginners shouldn't do maintenance. After all time is money.

Nova 8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2007
South Australia
Nova 8;1123460; said:
I
As for the article, newbies are usually after quick anwsers on the internet and most people wont spend the same time reading a web page as they will a book
ShadowBass;1123702; said:
I guess it's a good thing there's a thing called the internet, because god forbid some of you had to figure out how to use a book. :screwy:
Don't get me wrong, it is very informative and, if in the right place, would be read fairly easy. But like I said, people on the internet (esp a forum) are usually after quick, easy and direct anwsers. If this same article was in a book or magazine I am sure most people would not get sick of reading before they are half way done, but on the internet it is different. The production has to fit the audience and I feel this article (although good) would be skipped by most newbies just due to its size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store