Good reason to support your local fish store!

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
I can never keep loaches alive for some reason…but nice pickup!

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
It all depends on the owner to me. If he is a likable person, you will see me more in his or her store and willing to spend. I used to buy from one of my LFS that was getting weekly stocks of predatory fishes. LFS was owned by two men. One of them passed away and was nice to deal with. Every time I was going there, he would come to me and show me his new adds and he knew his stuff. He would give me a couple bucks worth of feeders for free along with each purchase. He also would not charge sales tax and round his prices.
Time has changed since he is gone. That LFS probably get monthly shipments only, and I'm talking just a few fishes here and there. The remaining owner doesn't even greet you and just stay glue to his seat in front of his computer.
I asked him if he could lower the price to his last datnoid that had his dorsal fin and tail nipped and ripped. He just no and walked away. That kinda blew me away when this was the first time I asked for a deal and especially when I spent a lot of money there.

I don't go as often as used to

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I agree that it's all about the owner. I actually have two lfs about 1/4 mile apart. The first is the one I got the loach from. The owner is very easy to deal with. Has halfway decent prices for oddball stuff, and tries to carry some higher end freshwater stuff. She actually has a 4" L-25 seven pointer in right now. The other store doesn't have much for freshwater. But his prices are a touch better on equipment, but he's so damn annoying that it's not worth it. Decent guy, just annoying lol. Plus he has no clue what he's talking about when it comes to freshwater fish and refuses to grasp he could learn from others. I go in there about once a year to give it the store a shot and leave annoyed enough to last another year hahaha.

I can never keep loaches alive for some reason…but nice pickup!
Thank you! They can be difficult to acclimate when smaller, but once you get them acclimated they aren't as sensitive. I try to look for healthy looking fish that have been at the store for a week or so. I've had several die that I've bought from Petsmart. But the ones from my lfs that I know had been there for a bit, I've had better success with. Also, once they reach 3" or so they seem to be a little less sensitive as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Grishtargan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
Eagar, AZ
Beautiful clowns!!! I have always wanted to get a school of them going!! I may have to consider future stocking plans to include a school of these!

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Just went and picked up two little loaches from my lfs. They had them in when I picked up the 7"er, and they still look good and healthy so I couldn't resist. A new employee that I had never met walked back and saw my catching my own fish. He said "Oh. It's just you." Apparently he knows who I am lol! He said he'd seen me in talking with the owner.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1408393728809.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store