good sump media?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
That looks good. Lava rock, K1, bio balls, pot scrubbers and many more.

I personally use bio balls, filter floss and just two sponges.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Interesting stuff. I personally like having a huge sqft of substrate surface area to tank volume.
I use bio balls, filter poly pads, pumice, and course sand.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have 25l k1, 10g bio balls, 7kg of bio home in one sump and 100 pot scrubbies and 3kg biohome in another sump which both work really nice. I do wonder what the square footage of surface area is between this stuff and other media's

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Has anyone tried to use this for media in there sump? Looks like it would work good

http://www.brentwoodindustries.com/...r/structured-sheet-media/cross-flow-media.php
We used this for odor reduction towers in my treatment plant. Settled primary water was trickled down though the media while the foul air removed from the tanks flowed the oppoy direction. The odor was removed by the zooglial mass(BB) growing on the media. It worked very well as I recall.
Anyway, the media is great for growing BB...and the free flow design allows for a lot of flow to pass through it and ALL the surface is touched...no dead spots.
I also remember it taking up a lot of space....

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I have 10g bio-balls, 25L of Ehiem substrate pro scintered glass, and 10lbs medium grain sand in a 3' fluidized sand bed. All diy sump and external FSB.
Other sumps have bio-balls in 8" diameter 30"tall bio-towers, monkey balls (a potting media used in hydroponics....very good and very cheap).

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I have a 125 sump on a 180 with half of the sump as a holding area for snails. So would this be practical? I am assuming there is better media for square footage of bb to grow on. I plan on a monster tank with 2 reeflo Hamer heads on it not in the near future but hopefully withing the next couple of years just trying to do my research

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store