good tank mate for an electric blue acara cichlid?

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I recently had to make some adjustments to my tanks, mainly because there was a bit too much bullying going on and not only was my angelfish stressed- so was I. Haha.

The barbs were an annoyance to the rainbow shark and he was constantly flaring, and the acara did not appreciate the angelfish.

My angelfish is now very happy with the tiger barbs/albino tigers, and mixed bottom feeders.

My acara and my rainbow shark are now the only two fish in one tank, and I'm looking to get maybe two more fish in there with them. Probably nothing that gets larger than around 6 inches, take or give an inch.

I apologize if pairing some of these fish together was not a good idea- I've been learning and trying to do my best/notice behavioral signs.

Any suggestions for tank mates would be super appreciated!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently had to make some adjustments to my tanks, mainly because there was a bit too much bullying going on and not only was my angelfish stressed- so was I. Haha.

The barbs were an annoyance to the rainbow shark and he was constantly flaring, and the acara did not appreciate the angelfish.

My angelfish is now very happy with the tiger barbs/albino tigers, and mixed bottom feeders.

My acara and my rainbow shark are now the only two fish in one tank, and I'm looking to get maybe two more fish in there with them. Probably nothing that gets larger than around 6 inches, take or give an inch.

I apologize if pairing some of these fish together was not a good idea- I've been learning and trying to do my best/notice behavioral signs.

Any suggestions for tank mates would be super appreciated!

What size is the aquarium?

Reactions: Wyvlen

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I agree that some corydoras would be a nice addition.
How do you feel about plecos? A Bristlenose could be a cool addition as well.
I would keep an eye on the Angels with tiger barbs the tigers are notorious fin nippers.

Reactions: tlindsey and Wyvlen

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
Personally I wouldn't add any more Cichlids. The EBA would be the center peice. High bodied Tetra should work. Also would add a group of Corydora.
I hadn't considered tetras! I'm not sure if my RBS would find them too annoying or not, but it's worth a try. Cory cats can be a bit hard to find in some of my lfs, because they never seem to have the right amount. They'll have maybe one or two unless I catch them when they've just gotten a new shipment. I'll definitely call around though

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I hadn't considered tetras! I'm not sure if my RBS would find them too annoying or not, but it's worth a try. Cory cats can be a bit hard to find in some of my lfs, because they never seem to have the right amount. They'll have maybe one or two unless I catch them when they've just gotten a new shipment. I'll definitely call around though

Avoid Buenos Aires Tetra can be nippy.

Reactions: Wyvlen

Wyvlen

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2018
I agree that some corydoras would be a nice addition.
How do you feel about plecos? A Bristlenose could be a cool addition as well.
I would keep an eye on the Angels with tiger barbs the tigers are notorious fin nippers.
I have a bristlenose in the tank with my angel/tigerbarbs, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy a second one or just move him over into the tank with the cichlid.

And my tiger barbs mostly keep to themselves, especially now that I've rearranged the stuff in the tank to better suit them. I've been watching them though, and they seem to leave the angel alone. My angel is really shy and unaggressive, so I've been wondering if getting a second angel would be a good or bad idea?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store