goonch grow out

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Been in 27C all its life. Just turned 3.
stunning what size is he at now??

i wasn't suggesting it was bad just i can't get the temp below 30'c most days, in the shed its sat at a steady 20'c water temp at the moment

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Great thread, I'll keep an eye on this one. Good to see a fellow uk'er. Haven't seen a goonch for sale over here yet!

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
so here are a few more pics of bit i missed and stuff done over last couple of days

the vent in the window

needed some sort of vent to stop condensation although shouldn't be too bad as no heating in the water.

electrics, not the best looking but functional and safe lol well aslong as the screws hold and the cable ties.

may notice i got the expanding foam done ill see how the temps are tomorrow. so far the water is sat at 20'c even with some slighlty colder nights.

decor done, got all the plants and drift wood moved in

lights work well, 2x 10watt LED spots

and how lucky are these two lol, some fry i found in the dovii tank. making use of 260G of open space hahaha only just over 1" see how they do but for now them and 3 brisal nose should keep it ticking over for the next couple of days.

so far the water is made up of 1/4 dovii tank, the rest fresh. 1 of the three current filter (4 canisters ) has been running for 2 years. the others are new, there is two more to add from his current tank and ill be doing a water change tomorrow with fresh and topping off with his water from the 50G. i'll move him in probably end of the week if every thing is looking good.

cant wait

give it a couple of weeks then ill be looking to add some colder water fish and move the dovii out before the temp drops thinking some barilius bakeri would work well in this set up but not sure for how long

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
just realised i posted the above here and not in the build thread, oh well.

so here he is all ready to move.

19" nose to tail.

smile!!!!

so that is it all sorted and in the new tank. filtration is simple internals a total of 5 on both sides of the tank that 2x 1200lph and 3x 1800 lph so that's a total of 7800LPH moving through filtration 100% surface movement and a steady temp of 20'c so should be fine for oxygen levels

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Lookin good! hes gotten big :) . Well done across the board with him and ur new setup. been following quietly lol... nice work!

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Lookin good! hes gotten big :) . Well done across the board with him and ur new setup. been following quietly lol... nice work!
Thanks very much, he had doubled in size and girth in the 6-7months I have had him. I suspect that now the temps are more natural his growth will slow slightly but we will see. I be starting the plans for the next tank in preparation and collect ting the bits up for it now so when the time come its good to go

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
still not eaten since the move but he is stubborn, it not unusal for him to go off feed when you do something in his tank so to move tank i sort of expected it. ill give him a week and see how it goes.

he has found a nice spot in front of one of the filters, at the end with just the one 1200lhp on the bottom he sat with his head facing it (same spot, same filter) as he did in the other tank.

i wondering if i have to much water movement but for now im leaving it, i may reduce one of the filters to a spray bar and try playing around with the amount of filters running but again ill give him a weeks grace it could just be the adjustment to the tank and the temp and its sat around 20'c lowest its got to air temp is 16'c but going to order a digi thermometer that shows inside out side temps start a log and also going to order the tube heater for the shed soon before it get too cold. the plan for that is to mount it under the tank in the stand and it should work like under floor heating hahahaha.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
from what ive gathered Goonch like current
with out a doubt, but i suspect that when they are small (even 19") they may occupy shallower water behind rocks etc. he seem happy enough its just a case of waiting for him to eat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store