Green Terror Spitting Out Food

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
Good day all! I have about a 3" green terror that was eating Nutrafin Max Cichlid Spirulina Sticks and broken up chunks of Massivore for weeks and this week he has shown no interest in the floating food and will take the massivore into its mouth only to quickly spit it out again. Water parameters are fine and just did a change yesterday. He is the only fish in a 33 gallon grow tanks with plants, driftwood, rock and temp at 81. Why is this fish spitting out food it used to love?

Turbotom92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Rzeszów, Poland
81 degrees is a bit high for Green Terrors. Green terrors are found in peruvian and ecuadorian rivers at higher elevations. The problem is probably the high temp. I would try dialing down the temperature a degree or two every day on the heater. I have 2 juvies with 3 JD in a 140 liter grow out tank tank, and I have the temp set at 24 degrees Celsius (75 degrees). I have had the 5 of them in there for 2 months now without any problems.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
My trimac has recently started doing this as well. I noticed he has white threadlike poo, which indicates parasites. Keep an eye out for that. On the other hand my Green terror(in a different tank) has his temp at 82 and eats like a horse.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
Well, I'm kinda thinking a parasite too. Gonna try garlic juice on the food ans see if that helps and also have some stuff for horses called provo...something that I will try as a last resort. I know it sounds extreme but I have heard of it used by discus breeders. Those prescription foods and that product by tetra aren't carried by any of my local shops. Anyone used garlic or human and horse anti parasite treatments?

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
I actually bought Kents Garlic Xtreme yesterday and tried using it this morning but the fish didn't seem too interested. I intend to keep at it for awhile. I hear Garlic is great for keeping parasites down. Also there is a med called Metronizadole that's good too but try to avoid meds if possible.

Calvin Klein

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2011
British Columbia
I quickly tried the pressed/crushed fresh garlic in a bloodworm and finely chopped shrimp mixture. Same results so far...gulp then spit. Maybe I have to wait until tomorrow when the fish is starving and he actually ingests it.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Yeah that what I'm thinking. Also have you tried adding salt? I added salt and turned my heat up to 86. It gets their metabolism up and in turn ups their appetite. When this bug is finally gone I'll drop my heat down to 78ish.

Jay88

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
Australia
I actually bought Kents Garlic Xtreme yesterday and tried using it this morning but the fish didn't seem too interested. I intend to keep at it for awhile. I hear Garlic is great for keeping parasites down. Also there is a med called Metronizadole that's good too but try to avoid meds if possible.

Garlic is good for internal parasites. Fish may not eat garlic directly...best to get a pellet/flake which already has garlic inside it. I am using New Life Spectrum Pellets.. which has Garlic, Vitamins A B and others inside it.

NLS is expensive, but my fish love it, they are all healthy and colors are really good.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
Hey Jay. I've used NLS and I think it's great but my fish don't. The Garlic Xtreme is a soak to put on pellets and I think it'll take a little bit but they'll start taking it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store