grey smooth hound shark bobbing his head out of the water during the night???

Atumi

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
Australia
what type of ray is that in the first vid?

Edit: never mind i should of watched the video through before asking :D

joonkim1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
lacey, wa
Very nice sharks guys!
Joon, do the sharks bother or try to eat the shrimps and crabs?
no they are actually donig just fine with my shrimp. my smooth hound will rest on the floor and my cleaner shrimp does his job on his gills and same with my blue dot sting ray he lifts up his flap and shrimp go right under. the coral banded shrimp is a dick so they dont mess with him cause he messed with them right back. sad deal was i found my horn shark eating my blue spot sting ray this morning.... :( and thanks guys i enjoy making videos lol and go pro has made it very easy to film a pond :)

joonkim1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
lacey, wa
i did have one more question about smooth hounds... if anyone can help is that when i turn my pumps off he swims normal or what i think is normal. when pumps come on and its a very strong pump he starts head bobbing again. so i changed my return to 3 outlets instead of one and now where there is barely any water movement he is doing nice tight circles but avoids the flow.

my question is do smooth hounds not like alot of flow in the tank? every video i see online of them they are in tanks with what looks like barely any flow. but who knows.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
I wouldn't say they prefer low flow, but they will definitely avoid spots with high flow - especially if it's in sharp contrast to the rest of the tank (ie: right in front of return lines).

joonkim1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
lacey, wa
I wouldn't say they prefer low flow, but they will definitely avoid spots with high flow - especially if it's in sharp contrast to the rest of the tank (ie: right in front of return lines).

awesome thanks for the info and i have a newer video of them feeding lol

garman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm dropping my temperature down to the mid 60's to see if theres a noticeable difference in the nose bobbing behavior

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store