Gymnothorax Polyuranadon courtesy of Rare Fish

corn fed

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2014
Nebraska
Wow!! Those guys are awesome. Nice pick up!! Are they aggressive with each other? Do you know if they would have to be in a species tank or what are some tank mates they could go with?

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Seen grown out ones go for upwards of $400...... Which still isn't a bad price if you're familiar with the Moray world.....

I'll have to get an updated feeding vid of these guys. They'll be getting moved soon as they're starting to chase the ATF at feeding time, when they aren't chasing them they're plucking floating carny sticks off the surface.

One of the funnest to feed tanks I have. Only regret I have is only getting 3...... lol
Glad to hear they are doing well. I have contemplated adding to my group several times. Aren't morays solitary fish when they get older? Also where did you come across grown out ones? I would love to see a picture of a larger specimen.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Glad to hear they are doing well. I have contemplated adding to my group several times. Aren't morays solitary fish when they get older? Also where did you come across grown out ones? I would love to see a picture of a larger specimen.
No, Morays aren't solitary. They're fine with anything too big to eat, which can be a task, as it's hard to visualize what they can or can't eat and where they draw the line at too big to eat. I had some Mono Sebaes in a salt tank with Mr Nibblez my Hawaii Dragon and the only one he didn't get down was over 8" tall, but was still killed in the process of trying. However, Mr Nibblez is a hook jawed fish eater so he (it) is much different then the Polyuranadons. These Polyuranadons have more typical Moray mouths catered to smashing as well as spearing so they're a bit more predictable, but I'm sure will still cause damage trying to eat fish.

I can't find the pic....... Jojo (Ichibahnasiatropical) had one that was supposed to be like 2-2.5'

I know I've gotten a pic from Wes of an adult, but having trouble finding it......

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
No, Morays aren't solitary. They're fine with anything too big to eat, which can be a task, as it's hard to visualize what they can or can't eat and where they draw the line at too big to eat. I had some Mono Sebaes in a salt tank with Mr Nibblez my Hawaii Dragon and the only one he didn't get down was over 8" tall, but was still killed in the process of trying. However, Mr Nibblez is a hook jawed fish eater so he (it) is much different then the Polyuranadons. These Polyuranadons have more typical Moray mouths catered to smashing as well as spearing so they're a bit more predictable, but I'm sure will still cause damage trying to eat fish.

I can't find the pic....... Jojo (Ichibahnasiatropical) had one that was supposed to be like 2-2.5'

I know I've gotten a pic from Wes of an adult, but having trouble finding it......
Thanks for the reply. Solitary wasn't the correct word for what I wanted to say. I thought morays as adults don't really care for other morays. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Whenever i see these brought up on here the idea of trying to comm them into my main tank bites at me, how do you think, being an owner of them, they would do with bichirs, dats, pbass, wolf fish etc as long as the sizes are right?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Whenever i see these brought up on here the idea of trying to comm them into my main tank bites at me, how do you think, being an owner of them, they would do with bichirs, dats, pbass, wolf fish etc as long as the sizes are right?

I wouldn't try it with bichirs. 1 or the other will eventually become food. Even more so with large LJ species.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ

I think bichers and wolf fish would be a bad idea. I could easily see any of my polypterus kill my eels and my eels have some nice size.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Really? If anything I thought the wolf would be the bigger issue, my polys are pretty peaceful other then one nippy teug

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Really? If anything I thought the wolf would be the bigger issue, my polys are pretty peaceful other then one nippy teug

I agree the wolves will be a worse idea but the polypterus are a bad idea. My endi who has been beyond docile tried to eat a tiger sd the other day. They can surprise you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store