Hamm, Germany Reptile Expo...

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Germans take amazing care of their reptiles.. What would be considered a "low quality" cage in Germany would be considered zoo quality in the US.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Germans take amazing care of their reptiles.. What would be considered a "low quality" cage in Germany would be considered zoo quality in the US.
From where did you get this information?

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App

AFRO-thunder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Austria
www.unet.univie.ac.at
From where did you get this information?

Just look at the numerous print publications and the care related articles in the US and Germany. There is quite a difference in style of housing and sense for keeping. I am not taking sides which is best, but for myself I definitely prefer the more naturalistic approach

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Exactly. They meticulously keep records of feeding and behavior, and keep them in large, naturalistic setups.

For instance, look how much success they have with monitor keeping and breeding, while in the US, most monitors are unlikely to live more than a few years due to improper care.. That alone speaks volumes.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Just look at the numerous print publications and the care related articles in the US and Germany. There is quite a difference in style of housing and sense for keeping. I am not taking sides which is best, but for myself I definitely prefer the more naturalistic approach
Germany may have more reptile experts doing publications, and most people have halfways natural setups, but there are still a considerable amount of people who don't keep their pets as they should! It's the same as in every industrialised country.
Exactly. They meticulously keep records of feeding and behavior, and keep them in large, naturalistic setups.

For instance, look how much success they have with monitor keeping and breeding, while in the US, most monitors are unlikely to live more than a few years due to improper care.. That alone speaks volumes.
I can agree that the monitor keeping I have seen in Germany looked better (only looked because I don't know anything about monitors), but that's about it.
Crocs and caimans are generally also better cared for in the US IME.

The only thing you won't see in Germany, is people keeping snakes in small plastic boxes like seen on SnakeByteTV ( Nothing against them, they as a huge store have to do it, but I know a good amount of people do it privately, too)

foto69man

Candiru
MFK Member
Germany may have more reptile experts doing publications, and most people have halfways natural setups, but there are still a considerable amount of people who don't keep their pets as they should! It's the same as in every industrialised country.

I can agree that the monitor keeping I have seen in Germany looked better (only looked because I don't know anything about monitors), but that's about it.
Crocs and caimans are generally also better cared for in the US IME.

The only thing you won't see in Germany, is people keeping snakes in small plastic boxes like seen on SnakeByteTV ( Nothing against them, they as a huge store have to do it, but I know a good amount of people do it privately, too)

Every 'basic' chain pet store I have been to here in Germany, sells supplies ages beyond the US. Zoo and Co has stuff that I have never seen carried at petsmart, petco, and the like. I am always amazed at the variety if reptiles I see when going into a store too. Petsmart was always ball python, beardies, and geckos. Here it's iguanas, chameleons, 5 different types of geckos, different morphs of beardies(not the typical brown), etc.....

Not saying Germany is better...but they seem to have it down to a science on the mass produced scale in-comparison to the states...(And every country has their dumb pet owners).

P.S. I'll go take pictures at my local Zoo and Co...simply amazing...

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Well pet stores are of course different since I haven't been to america yet.
But IMO Germany is a bit overly sensible on snake keeping though.
I've seen people getting hate for keeping ball pythons in 60g tanks. Lol wut?

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
You will find that growing up in your american bubble going to Europe is actually a lot more advanced than you think. America tends to be behind in a lot of stuff especially important things like race relations healthcare and housing quality. obviously I'm not saying America isn't an advanced country but when you travel the world you will notice that there are places that actually have much higher quality than the US.

speaking of which When I was in Germany I was amazed by how many locally bred interesting and rare reptiles were available. a lot of people throughout Europe will order their reptiles from Germany and have them shipped. they are usually cheaper this way. A friend of mine in Sweden wants to breed cresties and they cost x3 the price of importing from Germany in Sweden.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Who do you mean is growing up in an american bubble?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store