Has the Aquaclear line been discontinued?

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
At $80 a pop for the 110 they might as well discontinue them
$80 is not that bad. These filters will run for ever as long as you don't suck up sand and even then they will go till you Damn near grind the impeller shaft in half. But even then it's only $6 for a new shaft. I have some of these that are well over 10 years old. Very simple but effective filter that will last as long as you want them too. I have 2 110, 2 70 and a 50 and to me it's about the best filter you can get for the price.

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
$80 is not that bad. These filters will run for ever as long as you don't suck up sand and even then they will go till you Damn near grind the impeller shaft in half. But even then it's only $6 for a new shaft. I have some of these that are well over 10 years old. Very simple but effective filter that will last as long as you want them too. I have 2 110, 2 70 and a 50 and to me it's about the best filter you can get for the price.
+1. I've had a AC 70 for about 4 or 5 years now and that thing has sucked up a ton of sand throughout its life and is still running perfectly. well worth the money.

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
80$ is bad guys. Think about it, it's a simple motor and the rest is just cheap plastic. There is no doubt these are great filters but it probably costs 5-10$ to make these things. I would rather buy the aquaclear 110 but it can get the next best thing for 35$.

50$ I could see but now the manufacturer has set the price at $80

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
+1. I've had a AC 70 for about 4 or 5 years now and that thing has sucked up a ton of sand throughout its life and is still running perfectly. well worth the money.
Man, wish I had the same experience... I had multiple AC300s years back and loved them. Less than a year ago I got back into the hobby and got an AC 110. It sucked up some sand in a tank and after 2 months of use and a replaced impeller and screeching high pitch sounds I tossed it.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
80$ is bad guys. Think about it, it's a simple motor and the rest is just cheap plastic. There is no doubt these are great filters but it probably costs 5-10$ to make these things. I would rather buy the aquaclear 110 but it can get the next best thing for 35$.

50$ I could see but now the manufacturer has set the price at $80
I work in the paper industry. In the 80s and 90s it actually cost more to make the multi-ply, coated, multi-color print packaging than the filters cost in materials and assembly. The additional costs are in advertising, insurance, warehousing, wages, company profits, losses in other material markets, vendor costs, maintenance of eqpt and facilities, utilities, taxes, and big chunks in R&D.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Just curious dmopar but what do you consider to be the next best thing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store