Has the Aquaclear line been discontinued?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
For a hob? Well I got a 9 year old penguin chugging along right now. Does it filter as well as an aquaclear? Mechanically no but provides plenty of bio and moves water.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have a few of those...I noticed the manufacturer restricted pricing note on the AC filters on a few sites that carry them and I wonder what that's all about?

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
Got an email back from Rolf C. Hagen.

The Aquaclear line IS NOT being discontinued. The filters have been rebranded as "Fluval Aquaclear" for Petco (and I assume Petsmart), but at all other stores they're just Hagen Aquaclear filters.

Explains why they're not on Fluval Aquatics website, and on Hagen's web site with the "old" boxes.

Sigh of relief on my part.

Reactions: cyberbeer65

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Glad that you seem to have gotten to the bottom of this issue.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
One of the "problems" I see with the Aquaclear is recurring revenue. Most HOB filters have a cartridge that clogs and needs to get tossed and replaced, usually monthly. This is a source of recurring revenue for a company.

With the Aquaclear, I've been using the same sponge for YEARS now. I don't use the carbon, and I've used the same Biomax since I bought the thing. So, Hagen really only got my initial investment out of me.

I'm actually waiting for some filter maker to pull a Kuerig and "chip" their cartridges in some way, so that you can only use genuine cartridges in their filters.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I'm actually waiting for some filter maker to pull a Kuerig and "chip" their cartridges in some way, so that you can only use genuine cartridges in their filters.
LOL,wouldn't that be something?....I have smaller AC filters that are not being used currently but my larger filters are Emperors.I get good mileage out of the filter cartridges by giving them a good weekly rinse and I change them when they are basically falling apart.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I have old ones that say AquaClear and new ones that have FLUVAL on the lid, otherwise the same filter.

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I noticed they licensed some products to National Geo to Petsmart a few months ago. Also, over the past 2 years, I've noticed that Petsmart has clearanced out a lot of products and brands completely. I took advantage of some of those sales and stocked up on some media and stuff. I've found Petco is still carrying a lot of these items at least, and the Petco website has more options than most stores too. Recently I ordered some media for the sump online from them, only a few places even had it available.

Anyhow, here's a Petco link for the filters, it's a decent price too. You may have better luck ordering the sponges or media online though. http://www.petco.com/product/4051/A...-Filters.aspx?CoreCat=FishSFC_AquariumFilters

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store