Have You Bought a Fish But Later Changed Your Mind & Fed It To Your Monster Fish?

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I've never done that but I don't really think it would be inherently wrong to do so, I know some people eventually eat there own large fish they keep. It really all comes down to our emotions, as we feed live shrimp to our pets, live snails and all other kinds of inverts and don't think that is bad. I have reptiles that eat hundreds of insects a week and I don't view that as "wrong". The only reason I feed dead mice to snakes is because it is safer for the snake. I agree doing it just for the sake of watching something die Is kinda messed up or causing an intentionally slow death would be wrong but, otherwise it's just nature really, even if my emotions try to convince me otherwise. Look at the horrors we cause the food animals we eat.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I had an African leaf fish who was very docile for most of his life. He turned angry one day and became the terror of my planted community tank. fish slowly started disappearing and I knew it was him. I caught him in the act.

I was frustrated and working alot at the time. I didn't have time to go to the LFS. Working two jobs, plus Saturday work... so I floated him in a bag and acclimated him to my African cichlid tank. He hung with the bigboys no problem for the better part of a year. Then one day someone decided to eat his eyeballs.

Does this poor example count?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I had an African leaf fish who was very docile for most of his life. He turned angry one day and became the terror of my planted community tank. fish slowly started disappearing and I knew it was him. I caught him in the act.

I was frustrated and working alot at the time. I didn't have time to go to the LFS. Working two jobs, plus Saturday work... so I floated him in a bag and acclimated him to my African cichlid tank. He hung with the bigboys no problem for the better part of a year. Then one day someone decided to eat his eyeballs.

Does this poor example count?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
...wow! My Snakehead smashed a tank mate and the tank mate literally threw up. I felt bad and removed it.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Lol that's not my video. And yes I miss the pleuro. Sad it didn't get to live a complete life. Thought I would share this video with you, brutal:

https://youtu.be/XmG9koI_mW0
That videos been around a few years and is probably one of top advertisements for new snakehead lovers . I remember falling in love with the colors the first time I saw it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Lmfao I read the first few posts of this thread and lmfao oh god.. Op its ok, we've all wanted to see what our fish are capable off. I'm even scared to feed my jardini now as shes about 22 inches now, and every freakin time I drop in food she throws about a gallon of water out rushing to grab it lol prety scary. But I do wonder how she would kill something with her new size here and there.

But to me I personally think if you buy a pet whether its a fish or something else, you assume the responsibility of that living thing. So I would rather find it a good home rather than feed it to my other fish. But I make sure I can house the fish for its remaining life. BUTTT I have watched a ton of feeders get wrecked when my fish weren't pellet/market prawn trained tho haha.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store