Heater fail

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yet another eheim yager heater fail. This one could have been a disaster had i not fed them tonight. Temp was almost 68 ish.

Any recommendations on a decent heater ?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Any heater can and will fail at some time, that is why they are so cheap. They are not made to last forever. My recommendation is to get a heater controller and then also add a temperature gauge that has a warning when the temp is to high or to low. This way you are notified and have another way to control your heaters other than the built in thermostat. If you have the cash buy a neptune apex controller and have it hooked up to your heaters and you will have all the above and more

Reactions: boldtogether

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the above, to have a heater fail in the off position is what I call lucky, most fish easily tolerate 68'F or lower.
When mine have failed (and I believe every brand I've ever had has failed at one time or another) its usually in the "on" position, where the fish get cooked.
I've had one of those "in-line" heaters fail, and actually melt the PVC pipe enough to make it bow.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thx guys no wxtra cash right now. I noticed the pearsei was acting off the past couple of days tonight i came home and he looked drunk and was almost black. Did some water changes and brought the tempt up gradually.

This isn the third yager i had fail on me. This time the indicator light was in but the heater wasnt heating

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Ranco controllers are not too expensive and give you piece of mind, I have three 300 watt heaters hooked into mine and the temp stays solid at 78.

Reactions: monkeybike

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Here is a practice I have used for a long time. I use two heaters in most tanks. If a 300 watt is needed I use two smaller heaters. A couple of advantages. One being that it is unlikely both will fail at the same time. Another is that if one fails the other will keep the temps from falling too low or if one sticks on it will not be so likely to cook the tank.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
A heater will fail the thermostat first before failing the heating element. When it comes to heater, bigger is not better, because an oversized heater can accidentally cook you fish. In a heated/AC room, select a heater that can raise the temp to no more than 10F above ambient temp.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
Hello; Here is a practice I have used for a long time. I use two heaters in most tanks. If a 300 watt is needed I use two smaller heaters. A couple of advantages. One being that it is unlikely both will fail at the same time. Another is that if one fails the other will keep the temps from falling too low or if one sticks on it will not be so likely to cook the tank.
It makes sense except that If you buy the two same brand heaters at the same time, they often fail at about the same time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store