Help! Atlantic Stingray curling!

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
I've been following this thread, and am very glad to see that your ray is thriving.

bbrayer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
USA
So the apparent dip **** I bought her from, said no sand. Use river rock. So I have small river rocks in my tank. "i know" ouch. So since she's already sensitive, I dont want to move her, to take out the rock. Should I lay some sand on top and see how it does? Problem is, if she doesn't like it, I dont know how to get it out...hmmm. Also, this is going to sound stupid, but I couldnt get her to eat anything but krill. I was throwing away all the other stuff I bought that she wont eat, and ran across my own raw "scallops" in the freezer....i tossed one in for fun. She attacked it!!! so is that ok? Can she eat that?

MadBob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
Austin
scallops are better for your ray than anything sold in a pet shop, you should also offer clams, oysters, squid, shrimp, fish fillets, and any other raw seafood you happen to come across, also much cheaper than the +-30 bucks a pound your LFS will charge you for krill, which are really just small shrimp, table shrimp are less than a quarter the price if you buy them shell on and uncooked, and they're really the same thing as krill, just meatier

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Rock is fine as long as it's smooth.
That animals diet in the wild is made up for inverts and crustaceans - so feed it with that in mind.

PinkLady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2009
Madison, WI
www.facebook.com
Dr. Piermarini told me these guys don't vary their diet much and pretty much stick to marine shrimp, crayfish, grass/ghost shrimp, snails, etc. Scallops are probably included in there, except my female refuses them. She generally eats shrimp -- I buy them in bulk (raw, shell-on) and toss them in the water frozen. The water is 78 degrees so it thaws in just minutes and keeps it cool, and she tears off the shell and eats the whole thing. I scoop out the shell after about 10 minutes. I still have to try to figure out where I could get crayfish or snails at. I thought clams might be worth a shot too. I'm not wasting any more money on seafood anymore (various fish, squid, crab, etc) because she just wants nothing to do with it.

In regard to the sand, it's a B*TCH to take back out once you get it in there. I had to drain the water down to about 5" left so she could still breathe and swim, and scoop it out manually with a mini shovel into 2 buckets. Took forever. Your best bet for sand that will make her happy is something extremely soft and natural -- I used the aragonite sand from PetSmart at first, but didn't like how how fine and sticky it was because it stuck to my ray and it clogged my filters. So after going to some horrible rough sand that I won't even mention, I then went with CaribSea's Arag-Alive living aragonite sand. It's soft and fluffy just like the first stuff, but the sand particles are just a tad bigger/heavier so they don't float into the filter intakes. She can bury herself like she did before, and it doesn't stick to her slimecoat and doesn't cause irritation. Plus it has living probiotics in it to help seed biofiltration. I couldn't be happier with it.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
PinkLady;3544794; said:
In regard to the sand, it's a B*TCH to take back out once you get it in there. I had to drain the water down to about 5" left so she could still breathe and swim, and scoop it out manually with a mini shovel into 2 buckets. Took forever...
It's much easier and less stressful to use a vinyl hose and syphon the sand out while doing a water change. Remove about 1/4 of the sand at a time.

As for converting a freshwater tank to saltwater, it will take a long time. This type of ray can handle a gradual change in salinity over a short period of time, but the biological filter won't.

bbrayer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
USA
Cool about the scallops. If seen her eat ONE SNAIL, but didnt touch the next. And at the LFS I've spent about 50 bucks worth of "going in the trash" I was surprised when she ate the scallops. Seems to really like them, I was just making sure they didnt carry a known bacteria or anything. My ray has a kinda pink belly. Its been pink since i got her. But everybody is saying thats not normal and she needs sand....Im just afraid to make any big changes. I was thinking I could layer it on top of the rock in one section of the tank. If she doesnt like it, I can take that part out...whats a vinyl hose? sounds like a garden hose.

bbrayer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
USA
Thanks for the sand suggestion. I was bound to get something too scratchy, so If I do layer some sand, I'll try the CaribSeas

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
You dont necessarily have to move your ray to remove the river rock. If you've got big peices, take it out with your hand, if you have the smaller ones, use a small container/strainer to scoop it out. 100 gallon shouldnt take THAT long to remove all the rock. Id recommend jsut staying barebottom for now, you have enough stuff going on, and its better not to get things complicated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store