Help from the fishemen here

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
:0 im gonna try this! ive been fishing for blackfish recently but sparingly i'll use bunker for stripers. this sounds awesome! but why vanilla extract?
very strong smell, fish can't resist it....some fish like sweet like vanilla, some like strong overwhelming scent like garlic, or fish oil......can't hurt to combine them and increase target range. Stripers love clams naturally and Eels also.....when I use live baitfish, I find they work MUCH better if you don't touch them.....Stripers and other predators are very particular about the slime coat, which is removed by handling baitfish......when I unhook a baitfish I have caught I hold it over the bucket, grasp the hook upside-down w/ pliers and shake it a bit until it unhooks itself into the bucket, perfect untouched slime coat....when you hook them for fishing again, hook them while they are still in the water of your bucket to preserve slimecoat.....Eels are extra-slimy......and remember, anything that catches Stripers will catch Bluefish (they also school together constantly) and most likely sharks and other predators.....flounder, drum, etc

Black Sea Bass = Blackfish? You use them as bait for Stripers?

TBH, you'd probably be better off casting and slow retrieving LIVE American Eels for Striper. Can't let them sit or they go into the rocks and snag you.....gotta pretend it's a finesse bait. Whole Squid is my all-time favorite for Stripers though....2 hooks for the rig tied about 6" apart, top a 5/0 to 8/0 hooked through the point of the top of the squid, and the bottom is a large Double-hook (snags less than Treble-hooks), to keep the tentacles in tact an look natural to the fish. Two of those on a Striper/Bluefish rig, w/ a Pyramid or Sattelite weight at the bottom of the drop, and floats near the single hooks to keep the Squids floating in the current above the bottom to avoid crabs

Last edited:

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
very strong smell, fish can't resist it....some fish like sweet like vanilla, some like strong overwhelming scent like garlic, or fish oil......can't hurt to combine them and increase target range. Stripers love clams naturally and Eels also.....when I use live baitfish, I find they work MUCH better if you don't touch them.....Stripers and other predators are very particular about the slime coat, which is removed by handling baitfish......when I unhook a baitfish I have caught I hold it over the bucket, grasp the hook upside-down w/ pliers and shake it a bit until it unhooks itself into the bucket, perfect untouched slime coat....when you hook them for fishing again, hook them while they are still in the water of your bucket to preserve slimecoat.....Eels are extra-slimy......and remember, anything that catches Stripers will catch Bluefish (they also school together constantly) and most likely sharks and other predators.....flounder, drum, etc

Black Sea Bass = Blackfish? You use them as bait for Stripers?

TBH, you'd probably be better off casting and slow retrieving LIVE American Eels for Striper. Can't let them sit or they go into the rocks and snag you.....gotta pretend it's a finesse bait. Whole Squid is my all-time favorite for Stripers though....2 hooks for the rig tied about 6" apart, top a 5/0 to 8/0 hooked through the point of the top of the squid, and the bottom is a large Double-hook (snags less than Treble-hooks), to keep the tentacles in tact an look natural to the fish. Two of those on a Striper/Bluefish rig, w/ a Pyramid or Sattelite weight at the bottom of the drop, and floats near the single hooks to keep the Squids floating in the current above the bottom to avoid crabs
here in jersey blackfish are the local name for tautog. they are shellfish eaters. their primary diet are crabs, mussels, and clams. but they are 90% caught on the crab. i eat blues as long as they arent gators, too big and their taste turns bad. i catch sharks and skates often :/

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
here in jersey blackfish are the local name for tautog. they are shellfish eaters. their primary diet are crabs, mussels, and clams. but they are 90% caught on the crab. i eat blues as long as they arent gators, too big and their taste turns bad. i catch sharks and skates often :/
big bluefish are good....u just have to gut them and clean them instantly and get the oil sack out before it turns the meat dark. I love how people say Tautog....it sound like "T-Tog" ot just ''Tog''

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
lmfao here in jersey its just called black fish
my fishing buddy says Blackfish but he means Black Sea Bass........so we Googled "Blackfish" and it took us to the Wiki page for Black Sea Bass, cuz I had no IDEA what he was talking about....I thought he meant Black Drum

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Are you fishing from land or a boat? If you're fishing from boat and you want to use bunker as bait your best bet is to snag and drop a live bunker and then chum fresh live cut bunker. I've caught my largest striper at 44" 30lbs doing this. My personal preferance for stripers is either jigging or trolling umbrella rigs or mojos. But if you're fishing from shore there are a ton of plugs out there you can use instead of live bait.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Are you fishing from land or a boat? If you're fishing from boat and you want to use bunker as bait your best bet is to snag and drop a live bunker and then chum fresh live cut bunker. I've caught my largest striper at 44" 30lbs doing this. My personal preferance for stripers is either jigging or trolling umbrella rigs or mojos. But if you're fishing from shore there are a ton of plugs out there you can use instead of live bait.
WOW, what a beast

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store