Help keepin sand substrate clean

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
I have 2 950s in there. A 1250 would probably work but you may not get the consistency as you would with 2. I also have my sumps return line adding a fair amount of circulation to that tank too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks. I think im goin to go with one 1250 just because of cost purposes. I will get what the pump dont get with siphonin. If i find its still to much, i might get a smaller one for the other corner. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Libpete

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
England
Have you noticed how plecos poop more when the tank has just been cleaned? Mine seems to anyway, they are always long and stringy after a clean.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Have you noticed how plecos poop more when the tank has just been cleaned? Mine seems to anyway, they are always long and stringy after a clean.
Mines always like that, but i always am dissaponted after i think i have sucked all crap out, go to put my stuff away, then see that he is already makin another pile

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
A tank without substrate and decor will be harder to look clean because there is no hiding places for the wastes. To look clean, you have to siphon off waste accumulation in circulation dead spots daily, and change mechanical filter media frequently because they get clogged up quickly from suspended waste. That said, many dealers tanks have no substrate and decor, but they also don't feed their fish to grow. But I do.

I keep large cichlids that produce a lot of waste, and I don't want a bare tank which I have to clean daily to look clean. My approach is to use HOBs to mechanically filter the water column, place a thin gravel substrate and rock decors to more effectively settle and hide the waste, and rely on weekly water change to vacuum waste accumulation in the substate and underneath rocks. There is still a lot of work because the waste won't go away until I vacuum it, but I only have to do it weekly, not daily, and my fitler media last a lot longer than a bare tank set up.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Eheim gravel vac. Best $40 Ive spent on cleaning products. Battery operated, can be fully submerged and leaves sand a gravel behind.

I spot clean 6 tanks ranging from 300 to 60 gallons and they all take about 30 minutes total to vacuum. Once a week does the trick

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
Eheim gravel vac. Best $40 Ive spent on cleaning products. Battery operated, can be fully submerged and leaves sand a gravel behind.

I spot clean 6 tanks ranging from 300 to 60 gallons and they all take about 30 minutes total to vacuum. Once a week does the trick

I like this too. Probly what i like most is that you suck the poop out without water. Hopefully i can get one of these in the future too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store