HELP ME WITH MY GAR!!!! EMERGENCY EMERGENCY!!!!!!

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
You need to do large 80% water change. Make sure you use dechlorinator. I would then do a 50% water change tomorrow and retest nitrates and see how he's acting. What size tank is it? What size/kind of fish are in it? And what's your water change schedule like?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
You need to do large 80% water change. Make sure you use dechlorinator. I would then do a 50% water change tomorrow and retest nitrates and see how he's acting. What size tank is it? What size/kind of fish are in it? And what's your water change schedule like?

OK I'll do the 80% water change now. And I have rhino pleco tea cup stingray a water cow and a red hook silver dollar and he is in a 75 gallon tank rite now and he is 10 inches

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States

The fish are all smaller then him only water cow gets almost as big

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I wouldn't point a finger at current. Gars can live in moving water, but they also inhabit lakes and small ponds.

Nitrates are probably the #1 red herring for fishkeeping issues so it may not be as big a deal as you think (although yours do sound like they're way too high). That being said, compound stress (i.e. multiple stressors) often plays a role in fish problems so by improving water quality you may see improvement regardless of whether or not that is the biggest problem. And you did mention that the NO3 test was "very red", which on the API scale can be about 160+. If your tap water has 0 nitrate I would do another test with 50% tank water and 50% tap. Then multiply by 2 to get your NO3 concentration. If it still shows up red you could do a test sample that's diluted even more, but regardless of what that says your NO3 would be WAAAY too high and you're looking at multiple water changes and reducing your stocking density (e.g. sell fish or get a bigger tank).

Does the gar still eat? I see goldfish in the tank. Those are TERRIBLE for your fish because they are a huge contributor to fatty liver disease, which kills a lot of aquarium fish.

pH? Temp?

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
I wouldn't point a finger at current. Gars can live in moving water, but they also inhabit lakes and small ponds.

Nitrates are probably the #1 red herring for fishkeeping issues so it may not be as big a deal as you think (although yours do sound like they're way too high). That being said, compound stress (i.e. multiple stressors) often plays a role in fish problems so by improving water quality you may see improvement regardless of whether or not that is the biggest problem. And you did mention that the NO3 test was "very red", which on the API scale can be about 160+. If your tap water has 0 nitrate I would do another test with 50% tank water and 50% tap. Then multiply by 2 to get your NO3 concentration. If it still shows up red you could do a test sample that's diluted even more, but regardless of what that says your NO3 would be WAAAY too high and you're looking at multiple water changes and reducing your stocking density (e.g. sell fish or get a bigger tank).

Does the gar still eat? I see goldfish in the tank. Those are TERRIBLE for your fish because they are a huge contributor to fatty liver disease, which kills a lot of aquarium fish.

pH? Temp?
Hey thanks for the advise and yes the gar still eats and yea I know I have starved this gar maybe 2 1/2 weeks trying to get him to eat anything else but he won't instead I have all this left over food I bought that I will never feed to my fish because they won't eat it that's why I'm feeding it goldfish now and yes the gar still eats and I'll go another water change tomorrow but to be honest I don't think its the water. I think its something else....maybe internal? I will do what u said about the nitrates I'll test my tap water for it but I'm sure it won't have nitrate

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States

pH? Temp?
PH is regular 7.6 and temperature is about 83°

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store