HELP ME WITH MY GAR!!!! EMERGENCY EMERGENCY!!!!!!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Have you tried wire feeding them with frozen marine fishes? Marine fishes usually have a lot less fat (I want to say like 5% of goldfish but I'm not sure). When training wild fish (gars and flounders to be exact) to eat frozen food I would take a local sardine or a frozen silverside and thread some thin fishing line through them. This was done either by threading it with a needle, or by poking a hole with a fish hook or other sharp object and pushing the line through. Then I would tie a fairly loose knot so the fish wouldn't slip off.

Next you just sort of gently wave and dance the fish around until the gar grabs it; then a swift tug will free the knot without pulling the fish out. It's sort of like pulling a tablecloth out from under a set table, but way easier. Getting the proper knot tightness is the important part but it really isn't difficult.

And after doing that for a week or two you can simply throw the thawed frozen fish in and they will grab it themselves! Even if this isn't the issue it might work as a safer and cheaper long-term feeding strategy. Best of luck!

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
HEY GUYS I DID A WATER CHANGE YESTERDAY ABOUT 85% IM HOME NOW AND I SEE HIM ACTING NORMAL JUST FLOATING THERE OCCASIONALLY FLAPPING HIS FIN TO STAY AFLOAT BUT SHOULD I DO ANOTHER WATER CHANGE TODAY LIKE A 50%? I DID A BIG ONE YESTERDAY SO I JUST WANT TO KNOW.. And I'm going to starve him to feed him shrimp starting today

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
One of my floridas did this.. he "tweeked" every now and then after he showed such signs of trauma and he eventually got better. But otherwise it could indeed be heavy metal or nitrate poisoning as well. I would simply keep water peramters tip top and continue to observe. may not be a bad idea to worm the tank either if you've never done it to rule out parasites.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Your temp seems a bit high. Higher temps=low oxygen. Low oxygen + high nitrates + goldfish is a recipe for disaster. I keep temps at 74-78 degrees and havn't had problems with oxygen. Good luck

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Your temp seems a bit high. Higher temps=low oxygen. Low oxygen + high nitrates + goldfish is a recipe for disaster. I keep temps at 74-78 degrees and havn't had problems with oxygen. Good luck
low oxygen have pretty much no effect on gar so high nitrates and the gold fish should be the problem. It does look like his back is not normal but it doesn't seem to be a too serious back injuries.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
forgot to add my longnose that enjoyed the current had some decent size to him he was around 14 inches when he started getting in the current

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store