HELP My Rays!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm with him ^ on the Mela/Pima. I've heard it can hinder O2 exchange. Can you tell us about your filtration?

IF it was me and I saw that red belly I'd be freaking out. I tend to over react though.... lol. Keep in mind this is just me. I'd add rediculous amounts of air, thin out the substrate (looks deep), loose the Bichers to another tank, clean the bio, add bio from another tank, upgrade filtration, then stamp it with a big UV. I've found the only way to get myself away from second guessing things is to overkill it enough that it's ruled out immediately as a potential problem, hopefully making it easier to diagnose issues that might pop up. Unfortunately the results are still pending lol.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Water quality is the problem...

Water changes are the temporary solution.. not meds and chemicals.

No idea what your using for biological filtration, but it sounds like its not enough.

More water changes and bigger bio is the long term solution.

Substrate in the long run also can lead to more issues than its worth. I would consider slowly removing it.

I would recommend letting everyone know more about your tank if you want a more accurate answer though. (Tank size, tank mates, filtration, feeding scedule and maintenance schedule)

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I have been freakin out DB:/ This is my first issue in years so I doubt my system is insufficient. I have a 300g which drains into 50g sump. The 50g sump has separate pump that pumps into a 30g stuffed to the max with bioballs then passes thru another 100g with some driftwood and fry and uv, then back to 50g sump and up to main tank. There are currently 4 mechanical filtration stages within my sump system.
I did recently switch out sump pumps, installing a magdrive 18b while waiting for my new maxflo. I suspected the smaller pump is airating too little so I added a magdrive 12b as a circulation pump last night. Lots more air now.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I have been nervous to do much as for water changes. We have had lots of rain and a water main break the morning that i noticed strange behavior. Two days ago our water went from rust colored, to piss colored, to white, and now back to normal. Tested the faucet water last night, came out clear, so I did like a 75g wc.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
My sand is fairly thin but it gets piled up in the middle of the tank from the rays skating up the sides. When piled in middle it is only a couple inches thick, spread evenly, maybe an inch thick. It is moved often so trapped gas is little concern.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I have been so stressed that I got drunk last night... alone. May not seem like a big deal to most but I only drink a few times a year, if that :/

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Can you post pics of the filtration?

Insufficient systems work just fine as long as there's plenty of WCs. It takes a long time before problems arise. Enough water changes and you probably don't need any filtration. But eventually it will ccatch up with you. May take months, maybe years. Meanwhile the rays are growing the whole time and bio load is getting heavier and heavier. Systems should grow with the animals, just cause it works when they are smaller doesn't mean it will when they get larger......

How often do you clean the bio? I used to run into problems about once a year from poorly maintained filtration. Not saying that's what's going on, but that's usually what it was when I had issues. Several rebuilds later I finally started feeling comfy with my filtration. Why? Cause the problems happened less and less.

So if you have a system volume of 450 gallons, what are you running for UV? 40-60 watts? How much GPH through it?

I don't think many ray keepers here have enough sand in their tanks to make it 1/4" deep when spread out.

Just trying to help you learn from my mistakes.... ;)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have been so stressed that I got drunk last night... alone. May not seem like a big deal to most but I only drink a few times a year, if that :/
That could be part of the problem as well. Ray keeping is stressful. Heck fish keeping is stressful. I had to get my shine on a few times this week just from the fish that were eaten by other fish. I mean c'mon, when is the last time you heard of a decent sized Odoe Pike becoming a feeder? :irked:

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
No worries DB, even of you were rude I would listen:) I clean bio every 6-8 months. I usually do a couple small water changes per week. My uv is too small and works mainly as a clarifier. I will pull some sand out. I rarely test my water but every time I have, it was good. I will try to snap some pics of filtration. Since my tank tests fine, I fear an over abundance of heavy metals in the tap...? I couldn't find any info validating this fear but it seems like a legit possibility

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Main sump with 30g trickle filter behind it. Water hits filter trays on each side then giant bio wheels. This tank contains return pump with pre filter, heater, and secondary 400gph pump which pumps into 30g oceanic trickle filter 150. The trickle filter is packed with bioballs and has an air supply.

uploadfromtaptalk1402177655602.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402178234553.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store