HELP My Rays!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
The parameters are fine. It is something else. My ammonia is just barely above zero and that was tested shortly after dumping in a few dozen crawlers
I'll be blunt...not sure why you are in denial about your water parameters.

Almost everything I have seen/read suggests Nitrate levels of 40 to 50PPM as the maximum. That's the upper limit; you should be aiming for lower. Your levels are about twice as high.

Why do you feel 80PPM and Ammonia readings of anything other than 0 are fine? Your fish are definitely showing signs of illness and your water parameters are far from ideal.

Have you considered adding Pothos to your sump to help lower those NO3 levels?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
From the bioball tank, water hits the side by side 29s which have some ornaments, driftwood, feeder fry, and parents. They are bare bottom and kept clean. From the 29g, water flows though sponges back to main sump, but there is also a double filtered hot mag 250 pumping water through a uv to a currently empty 40b with a little sand and some large fake plants. This is where my newborn pups go for the first 6 weeks. The fake plants are only in there now for increased bio.

uploadfromtaptalk1402178896877.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1402178916991.jpg

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Although my uv is under sized, it did rid some long lasting, fuzzy fungus on a ray barb within the first 24hrs of use. Its a larger coralife... and yes, I know they suck but it was only $30 and it has been beneficial.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I am not in denial, I have just read enough to know that I don't have to worry too much about my nitrates and I only called it 'less than' .25ppm on ammonia because the tube wasn't bright yellow but it showed no greenish color either. I tested before a water change but after dropping in dozens of night crawlers. I think its good. I wish I could throw some plants in the sump but that would require adding a proper light under my stand. I have lots of anubuis nana but I don't know how much that helps:/

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
While I would like my nitrates to be lower, I will not fret over it at the moment. They are not spiking but consistently high. I have been trying to tweak my system to bring them down but that is another topic :)

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I am not in denial, I have just read enough to know that I don't have to worry too much about my nitrates and I only called it 'less than' .25ppm on ammonia because the tube wasn't bright yellow but it showed no greenish color either. I tested before a water change but after dropping in dozens of night crawlers. I think its good. I wish I could throw some plants in the sump but that would require adding a proper light under my stand. I have lots of anubuis nana but I don't know how much that helps:/
While I would like my nitrates to be lower, I will not fret over it at the moment. They are not spiking but consistently high. I have been trying to tweak my system to bring them down but that is another topic :)
Long term exposure to elevated nitrate levels can lead to what you are experiencing. I understand you feel it's unrelated, but I happen to think it's the reason your fish are showing signs of illness. You should be fretting about 80PPM nitrate levels, especially since your fish are not well.

I would suggest building up to larger scale and/or more frequent water changes. Hopefully it's not to late, but ignoring your high nitrate levels isn't a good idea.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You don't need much light at all for pothos to flourish. A single CFL would be sufficient. I think it would dramatically lower your nitrates.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I will try some for sure. Any other tips for nitrates since we are on the subject?
Whatever is going on in my tank hit multiple fish in the same day so it is not my nitrates. How quickly could an ammonia spike dissipate? I have seen ammonia burn on rays many times but the redness on my girl looks different. It is not as bad today but still discolored and very bumpy

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Drip will lower Nitrate....... But Pathos may do it without the water bill..... IF water's cheap like it is here a drip is very nice to have. With filters on the main line there should be no concern about metals or anything in the tap water, they should be filtered out.

I'd build a bio reactor. ;) Big air pump, big UV -> peace of mind -> priceless.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
A drip would be nice. My home was destroyed in a storm and I had no insurance, handicap, and nowhere to go, so I am stuck with my mom for the time being. When I find myself in a more permanent position I will definitely have a drip

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store