Help plz

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
stevebussard;1020749; said:
I wasn't refering to salt, I don't and never have owned a salt water aquarium. I'm not an expert on this topic by any means. I was simply stating my experience with a very simmilar issue, and how I was told to fix it. It worked for me, take my limited knowlege for what it's worth. I use a small amount of salt in my freshwater tank all the time. It works as a water conditioner, and as I said, it helped with my amonia issue. Oh, and I think I may have not clearly said what I intended to. I didn't mean to completely stop doing the water changes, but what I was told to do is do smaller ones (around 30%) every few days rather than 50%+ every day. Sorry for the confusion I caused
Sorry, I think I misinterpreted a lot of what you said. You mentioned ocean salt and I thought marine. There's no need to use ocean salt, it's very expensive, I'd just go with normal salt in a FW aquarium, since the salt in the main benefit and marine salt has a lot of other stuff added to it. Marine salt won't hurt since you'd be adding so little, it's just not necessary.

Smaller water changes may be better, but I wouldn't go every few days since the ammonia will significantly rise during that time. Smaller every day, maybe 25% percent or so, strictly watching to make sure the ammonia doesn't get drastically out of hand. I've left a cycling tank for a few days thinking they were almost cycled and then when tested the ammonia was around 10, ridiculously high, surprised the fish weren't dead.

IME it matters very little whether the water changes are big or small since there will still be enough ammonia to feed the bacteria. I've cycled several tanks at once before and never noticed a difference in the rate of the cycling process whether or not the water changes were very large or not *shrug*.

MonsterP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
ohio
I did a water change tonight like u suggested 25 percent I couldnt hold off and wait a day I added aquarium salt also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store