help! porcupine puffer and lionfish riot!

woodyoz

Candiru
MFK Member
and for taking care of the fish i had to give away the babies...but i also got 4 green spotted puffer babies [i think they are babies coz they are rele small,2 and a half inches each] .....the store manager said they are easier to keep...they are amazing,they keep changing their colour frm white belly to black belly and frm bright green colour between the black spots to dark green...
and again,one of them is such a bully that he started attacking the others and allmost leaving one of them without a tail...i was soo pissed off that i allmost put him into my snakehead tank...but i didnt do it lol....took him to a small fish shop near by and just got rid of him

so any advise and ideas regarding how to handle these little thugs?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
What babies??? That substrate you are using is horrible! Porcpuffs require a mminimum of 100g. I'd returm the puff & keep the lion alone in the 55.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Pufferpunk;2000115; said:
What babies??? That substrate you are using is horrible! Porcpuffs require a mminimum of 100g. I'd returm the puff & keep the lion alone in the 55.

he took both of the fish back he said, now he has some new puffers.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
I have to disagree with the view that "Volitans" and "Puffers" cannot co-exist in harmony. In fact, I was surprised to read the comments on this thread!!
I have large "Volitans" that have lived in complete peace with even larger "Arothron" puffers for many, many, years. I have NEVER been given cause to show concern about their compatibility. As was stated earlier in the thread, both species thrive on different diets, so there is no conflict, not even in that field.
However, my mature "Clown Trigger" is more than capable of dissmantling, and destroying the "Volitans" so I will need to address that issue, sooner, rather than later.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
But it's a 55g tank.

craig

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
LONG ISLAND NY
My Stars and Stripes puffer doesn't mess with my Lionfish. And my puffer is thicker than the lion. I think it depends on what kind of puffer. Porcupines have a tendancy to nip everything in the tank. They love to eat. All day that is. I have a trigger also. A Bluechin. He is bigger than the puffer and the lion and he doesn't bother anyone.

gangstafish 593.jpg

gangstafish 589.jpg

gangstafish 581.jpg

Tahoe Mommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have had both fish and the only help I can offer is to seprate them of course immediately. I stick to the general rule of thimb when purchasing SW predators.....its one per tank. Both the Lion and the Puffer will get too big and territorial to share with anyone else. You may get away with a Blenny, like I am, because they stick to the bottom of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store