HELP!! Possible ick outbreak

castintotheopensea5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
NC
oh man....you must feel so cool, so superior dont you Evilking...excuse the hell out of me for caring about my fish.....and thats sad you cant find anything better to do then talk **** on a fish website

*mysenegalyin*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Manassas/Bristow, VA
After reading this conversation kinda feel really bad for your fish....i mean i can understand $$ issues cause i went through that for a while before i could afford a larger tank for my Senegal...but at the same time i do care bout my fish and only try to do the best for them, cuz their living things too.

castintotheopensea5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
NC
yea it kills me honestly because i really care about my fish but im flat broke...im doin what i can though...i really dont want to loose any of them

*mysenegalyin*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Manassas/Bristow, VA
i know that me and my Senegal have never had the problem of ick...but i guess it's because I'm always paranoid about loosing him when I've had him sense he was like 1 in...before i was able to get a bigger tank i would be cleaning his tank twice a week, and at times i'd never try to buy new fish just cuz i'd be worried that they'd bring ick to his tank you know...but also i'd be always checking all the guppy's before i put them into his tank...but that's just me.

castintotheopensea5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
NC
geeimatree;2831285; said:
get a heater
bump up the temp to like 86
do 50% water change initially
25% every day until white spots gone
10% every other day for 1-2 weeks after white spots gone - just to make sure all of it is gone and outta the water
and add salt - like a teaspoon per 10 gallons or something like that
thats what i do when my fish get ich
Suppose i decide to try the salt/heat treatment.....would all these fish: a pacu, oscar, senegal bichir, african brown knife, and tiger barbs...be able to tolerate the salt?

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
yes. with the pacu use a teaspoon/10 gallons. i'd recommend a tablespoon but pacu's don't like alot of salt. and also it is good to keep salt in the water period. it helps heal and also promotes better oxygen exchange in the gills.

*mysenegalyin*

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Manassas/Bristow, VA
QUESTION!- i was always told that senegals were freshwater fish...i know there are different types but i'm curious (b/c i would use this info in case this ever happen to me)~ not trying to worry anyone but i'm just curious

vaine111

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
Metro-Detroit
i said to an owner of a LFS by me that i don't want to get silver datnoids cause they are brackish fish and he said "well if thats the case then all my tanks are brackish cause i put salt in everyone." and thats when he told me about aquarium salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store