HELP sick jaguar cichlids

Chidori Noodlez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Michigan
yea... I change my jags water every 3 days.... their in a 90 gallon waiting on me to reseal the 150 for them... start searching the ca/sa cichlid forum.. and you need to know water params so you can rule out water condition..... I'd do some wc's like 40% every other day and add some aquarium or sufficient.... for starters.. but thats just me...

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not good my friend, that stock in a 75g protien eater tank of that that size you need to be doing a fin level water change once a week at least, again water test perams? looking for ammonia and nitrate results. you may be burning your fish. I would most certainly do a fin level change tonight, condition the water with prime or another water conditioner dosed for size of tank not amount of water replacing before refilling

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I'm w/ them on the water quality thing, I'd at least be doing 50% a week for a pair of decent sized jags in a 75.

What's your temp at? If its not there bump it up to 80-82, if its ich it'll help quicken the cycle

Try a 50% water change every other day for a while and use some Melafix and Pimafix, some salt wouldn't hurt either. If the suspected ick spreads, I'd treat w/ API super ick cure. Its always done me well in the past

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I really hope you figure this out. I ran into this problem with a 12" jag and I spent oodles of money on meds to just watch him die. Nothing worked. I had perfect water perameters

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I do not think you have ick IMHO if it is a worry bump the temp to 87 to 89, will not hurt the fish. esp jags, no meds needed, 80 to 82 is not warm enough. leave it there for 3 weeks, if you do not have a water test kit then just do the water changes, when in dawt if you should do a water change? do a water change, crystal clear water does not mean good water. More fish have prob died to that way of thinking than any other.

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I do not think you have ick IMHO if it is a worry bump the temp to 87 to 89, will not hurt the fish. esp jags, no meds needed, 80 to 82 is not warm enough. leave it there for 3 weeks, if you do not have a water test kit then just do the water changes, when in dawt if you should do a water change? do a water change, crystal clear water does not mean good water. More fish have prob died to that way of thinking than any other.
It's not ick, but the fish will get ick from the stress. My jags entire slime coat peeled off then he started bleeding from the gills. Keep us posted on your progress.

sheajared

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Thanks for all the feedback, i put some melafix and pimafix in as well as some aquarium salt. Bumped up the temp a few degrees. I will surely keep you updated on their progress. I will for sure be doing more frequent water changes from here on out. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
If I'm not mistaken All products made by Kordon are all 100% fish safe and you can't overdose no chemicals as well. I use there methalyne blue and ick attack in my fish room. However when my jaguar got sick nothing worked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store