Help with Potamotrygon Pearls

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just 2 rays!!!! More like two awsome rays that you should do everything and anything for and forget all the other fish. You will need to do better water changes on that system evem if you leave them in there for a week. Honestly I would be testing the water allot but more likely doing daily water changes with just those 2 rays. They will foul the water super fast. A little stress is better then horrible water anyday. The rays do not look huge compared to the size of that tank so they will be ok for a week to treat them and get them eating, just as I said before change water and change water daily or whatever it takes to keep it super good, use a test kit. While they are in there I would give them lots of fresh water and dissolve salt in new water and add to tank to help with the tail. If its a fungus find a treatment and do it now. The tail looks more torn up vs fungus to me, but It is hard to tell from the pics but im fairly sure.

They´re just 2 rays and I just fed them and they ate well. Wouldn't it be better to wait until the male gets better and then move them because would´t they possibly stress out and die more easily with 2 aquarium changes in one week??

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Happy to see the heater covered. I would remove all decor that you can fron the tank

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Agreed. I have Pearls as well. Clean water is the key. Get em eating chopped worms ASAP. If Nitrates are reading 0 you have a water quality problem. Either you cleaned out the filter recently and killed off the BB, or you added way too many fish for the size of the filter. If nitrates truly are 0, you should be watching the parameters closely and be doing small water changes daily. Get em in a bigger tank ASAP stress from poor water quality will kill em faster than the stress of moving them.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Ok thank you ill move them this week, but does anybody know what caused the white thing on the tail?
Post a pic of injury.
Move rays as soon as possible. Or you should at least be changing the water every day.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Agreed. I have Pearls as well. Clean water is the key. Get em eating chopped worms ASAP. If Nitrates are reading 0 you have a water quality problem. Either you cleaned out the filter recently and killed off the BB, or you added way too many fish for the size of the filter. If nitrates truly are 0, you should be watching the parameters closely and be doing small water changes daily. Get em in a bigger tank ASAP stress from poor water quality will kill em faster than the stress of moving them.
+1

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
Theres a picture of the injury on the first post. Thank You or all the help im going to be doing water changes daily until I pass them to the other aquarium. Hope everything goes well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
If your small tank is in close proximity to your 190 gallon, I'd say tie them together via canister filters, asap!!! Use inlet from one tank, and outlet from another, this will loop both tanks together pulling water from your large tank, pumping it into your small tank, then back out into your large tank... This way you have greater water volume without moving them!!!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
So what happens when one pump clogs a bit or pumps more than the other pump??

If your small tank is in close proximity to your 190 gallon, I'd say tie them together via canister filters, asap!!! Use inlet from one tank, and outlet from another, this will loop both tanks together pulling water from your large tank, pumping it into your small tank, then back out into your large tank... This way you have greater water volume without moving them!!!

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
So what happens when one pump clogs a bit or pumps more than the other pump??
It only works if you have two of the same canister filters with the same gph, while anything is possible it is unlikely a clog will happen with regular maintenance done, and I never said this was a permanent fix, just temporary fix.... I've done it myself for six months no problem!!!

ReisAntonio

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2012
Lisbon
I already switched the sand on my 190 gallon because it was silica sand which contains bits of glass and cuts the rays and already have in there the JBl sand for stingrays. I did a general clean and changes how the wood was in the tank to give the rays more space. I will be passing them to the 190 gallon today. Their tankmates are
Clown Loaches x8 (2-5 inches)
Platydora Costatus x4 (5 inches)
Agamyxs Pectinifrons (6 inches)
Giant Red Tail Gourami (6 inches)
Polypterus Senegalus (6 inches)
L333 (2 inches)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store