Help with white spot on gar's head

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Agreed, you must get to the root of the water issue. You should contact your water supplier and get a current analysis before attempting to medacate. Definatly test your tape water to get a base line. If your ammonia is spiking after a water change you should increase your bio-capacity too.
I have tested the tap water and the nitrates are really high, i think the ammonia spiked because i changed like 70 to 80 percent water and caused a mini cycle. I added 2 water fall type filters with bio wheels to kick up the bio capacity. The tank has never spiked like this before when i do normal water changes of 20 to 30 percent. I have this 125 gallon tank and an 80,75, two 55,a 40 and an 18 gallon bio cube. All of my tanks are running and i have no water problems anywhere else and this morning everything is back to normal in the gar tank as far as ammonia its back to 0.
so i think it was a mini cycle.

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
See the ammonia is going back down

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1377807086989.jpg

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Now the ammonia is back to 0 ppm

uploadfromtaptalk1377819569438.jpg

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
just as Scott aka sbuse said in the other thread, gars don't do well with meds so salt, clean water and temp will do. I had that fungus thing before in my gar, all you can do is separate the fish and put it into another tank(a plastic bin would do just fine) keep the temperature around 85F, add salt(like a tsp/gallon) and keep the water clean.
Sbuse got banned. Anyone know why?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
All this is not getting to cause or treating it. Just treat with salt (1/4 cup per 20 gallon) Temp 80F.. feed well with live foods and problem is gone.. that is all. When that is done and the fish is stable then worry about your chemistry and fix it. Chemistry is only a small part.. the cause of the issue is a sick weakened fish with impaired immune system.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
All this is not getting to cause or treating it. Just treat with salt (1/4 cup per 20 gallon) Temp 80F.. feed well with live foods and problem is gone.. that is all. When that is done and the fish is stable then worry about your chemistry and fix it. Chemistry is only a small part.. the cause of the issue is a sick weakened fish with impaired immune system.
I have been treating with a lot of salt like almost 2 tablespoons per 5 gallons and the temperature is 85f and I've been doing this for 3 months now

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
And all I feed is live food except just recently I started them on thawed pinkies and fuzzy's.

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
I'm sorry but this has not fixed the problem and has only been getting worse over the past few months.this is a link to my other thread. Check it out. http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6601761

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
Oh and I have not yet pellet trained then, they keep spitting then up when the pellets stick to there teeth.
Wanted to mention that I have 4 gar (three different types)...and they all eat pellets no problem. Yes the pellets do stick to their teeth sometimes...but they figure it out & overcome!:)

Good luck getting the water/white spot issue ironed out.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store