Help with white spot on gar's head

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
So I wanted to give you guys an update, the white spot stopped spreading 3 days ago. The color and pattern on this gar has become more vibrant than I have ever seen it and has been this way since the spot stopped spreading. Also the normal coloration around the spot seems to be returning to normal.On top of all that both my gar have become a lot more active, swimming bak and forth in all levels of the tank. I think this all has come about from the change in there diet. They know are eating frozen/thawed pinkies, and fuzzies for the bigger one, which was my sick one. Here is a picture of the two. I think we are finally on the road to recovery. And I definitely think there diet was the underlining issue here.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1378077183104.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1378077220783.jpg

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
So my gar is definitely getting better, all the color has started to return where the wound was. Didn't use any medication just changed his diet.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-sorry for late response, but good to hear gar is doing better. not sure i would ever recommend feeding pinkies to gars...bad idea amongst all the other food options. as richard had mentioned, the heat and salt are the best treatments for what looked like some sort of bacterial infection. also make sure to keep any slime suckers out of tank (algae eaters, syno cats, prochilodus).
as for your water quality, what do you use to dechlor your water? if you use amquel or similar compounds, they are well-known to give false positives on ammonia tests, so testing right after the water change is generally useless.
keep us posted on the gar and i hope it continues to improve!--
--solomon

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
So that spot has started to spred again. Stoll no luck this seams to be the only fish being affected. The tank temp is 86 and there is now double the recomended salt. Here is a new picture. Please some one help. I'm going to start on some meds if th is dosent turn around.

uploadfromtaptalk1380420423842.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380420446310.jpg

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-hard to say from this image, but it looks like the fins are worn away to nubs on this fish, is that the case? please provide some additional full-body shots of the fish as well as the fins. these issues may be indicative of a larger problem. also, what are the tankmates of this fish? are they showing any similar problems? it is unusual for a gar to show this sort of issue and not the tankmates...and we don't know if you have problematic tankmates either.
if you can provide this info it will help in moving forward. that being said, if you are going to treat with antibiotics, be sure to do so in a separate tank.--
--solomon

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
-hard to say from this image, but it looks like the fins are worn away to nubs on this fish, is that the case? please provide some additional full-body shots of the fish as well as the fins. these issues may be indicative of a larger problem. also, what are the tankmates of this fish? are they showing any similar problems? it is unusual for a gar to show this sort of issue and not the tankmates...and we don't know if you have problematic tankmates either.
if you can provide this info it will help in moving forward. that being said, if you are going to treat with antibiotics, be sure to do so in a separate tank.--
--solomon
Thanks for the reply, the gar came in the mail with what looked like fin rot. The fins have been growing back since I started alternating and varrying there diet. The white spot started to apear when there was no tank mates. Now there is 2 sevrum and the 2 gar. Here are some body shots. Also the sevrum are perfictly healthy and showing no signs of illness.both gar have been having "fin rot" issues since the arrived in the mail. Also is a pictire of the other gar.

uploadfromtaptalk1380429817347.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380429844440.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380429868756.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380429931959.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380429959386.jpg

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
Thanks for the reply, the gar came in the mail with what looked like fin rot. The fins have been growing back since I started alternating and varrying there diet. The white spot started to apear when there was no tank mates. Now there is 2 sevrum and the 2 gar. Here are some body shots. Also the sevrum are perfictly healthy and showing no signs of illness.both gar have been having "fin rot" issues since the arrived in the mail. Also is a pictire of the other gar.

More pictures

uploadfromtaptalk1380430099899.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380430123061.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380430159043.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380430236232.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380430255591.jpg

zie2695

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
N/A
--solomon
I would like to speak with you directly if that would be possible. Or by txt for pictures. I sent you my number in a pm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store