Heres why parents eat their young!!!

Ben268

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Canada PEI/New Brunswick
DiverDan;2427778; said:
for the men out there, there are others animals we probably don't want to mimic.

Google what a preying-mantis does to her mate afterward :)
I've always felt sorry for mantid "guys" :(. Male spiders are usually in the same boat to.

Retuks

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
Kaneohe
JayK1320;1963665; said:
So how long is it recommenced to leave the mother in with fry? I have a Peacock cichlid that just spit the babies, I do not want her to eat the fry, is this anything I need to worry about?
idno nothing about peacocks but are they mouth brooders?

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
My Cat gave birth to early :cry:and she just ate them with all of the other stuff instead of cleaning em, they where still alive:WHOA: I was sooooo shock and had a hard time excepting it. Asked my veterinarian why she did it and he said the babies probably would have died anyway so she just ate them.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
interesting. it covers the egg bearers where the male wtaches over but doesn't cover why livebearers like mollies eat their young. most mollies will go after the young and eat all of them within an hour. unless of course you manage to offer enough hding places and whatever you do do not isolate the mother, that'll leave the babies nowhere to go lol.

I still don't know why they do it, but it may be some kind of darwin thing.

girl_interrupted

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2009
So Cal
www.myspace.com
I hope my female convict doesnt get any funny ideas. They've survived for a week so far XD how long before they start to form?

Danny123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2009
Golborne
Anybody got any advice on Tuxedo Platy's. I've got four in a 125l tank, and one is very pregnant. I've tried a suspended breeding tank, but within 24 hours she was butting the side of the cell, and not not doing herself any good. I thought about a seperate tank, but is that necesary?

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
I think someone needs to put a bug in the polar bears ears and tell them they need to stop eating their young because they are almost extinct!

Very interesting, yet disturbing read.

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
i had to put my livebearer in a little floating nusery thing and take away the ma

butter_bean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
Lackawanna, New York
I got a quick question.... my firemouths had some babies two weeks ago... all seemed fine. The bigger fish kept chasing the smaller one and was constantly surrounded by the fry. I read that they are just being protective of the fry, so thats why it was extra aggressive. Well, my question is this.... is the bigger fish that is being protective the male or female? And then why did they eat all the babies? And how often do they lay eggs, cause it looks like they made another "hole" in the gravel, which they did the first time they laid eggs? Anyone.............?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store