Heres why parents eat their young!!!

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Kok Master;1849712; said:
my female fh just ate her eggs within 24 hours. they are in my office at home which i am in all day. i think she just gets nervous with the traffic. next week when she lays eggs again i am going to cover the tank. if that doesn't work i am going to separate the female. if he eats the eggs too i am going to try and milk him and separate them both from the eggs. if that doesn't work i will pee in th tank.
:ROFL:

tank187

Feeder Fish
Oct 16, 2010
Ohio
interesting topic here. not much of a freshwater person. But browsing here interest me more in the freshwater hobby. i look forward into my SW hobby into breeding. very awarding and much looked upon in any aquarium hobbyist. I have had some females do the same to me in my 125 SW tank. Must be a thing wit females lol. But i have learned that wit cardinal fish when they breed the male actually tumbles the eggs within his mouth. Having the problem with the females eating there young maybe all male fish should do that lol

thansen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
Indianapolis, IN, USA
This makes some sense out of my male Jordanella floridae began to eat the majority of the eggs...I was just glad to find a cluster of eggs in the Ceratophyllum demersum, apparently forgotten.

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
If it hasnt been done allready. There should be a test of the difference between wild caught fish. And captive bred fish of the same species. During the mating and raising eggs process. Because i think that allot of the time fish do eat there young because they know there isnt enough room in the tank for them and all of those fish when they grow up. And breeding is just a nature behavior. Just like protecting your terriorty is a natural behavior. And they eat them before they are big enough to kick there ass. And claim the tank for them self. Just my two cents. Allso my original point being i personaully thing that a wild caught pair would do this more then a captive breed pair. because a wild caught pair all ready feels super crampted stuffed in a tank. And captive breed would be more used to it and comfortable with it. Any thoughts on this. Allso why a polar beer would eat her young if it had been wild ones. And maybe would rather eat her young then have them grow up in a cage.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
I hope my female convict doesnt get any funny ideas. They've survived for a week so far XD how long before they start to form?
Don't worry about convicts they won't eat their offspring, they're one of the best parents amongst fishes. They'll raise them all the way. Mine breed in the community tank with 2 GT's and both parents defended the young from Green Terrors and were able to chase them away even if they were twice their size. I had 30 babies and 25 made it to juvies and became independent. Just make them some hideouts.

troj1992

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
Hertfordshire - England
So how long is it recommenced to leave the mother in with fry? I have a Peacock cichlid that just spit the babies, I do not want her to eat the fry, is this anything I need to worry about?
Peacock f are generally pretty good for a good 2-3 days after they have spat the babies......sometimes they 'spit' but recollect the babies when there is imminent danger, natural behaviour in the wild, just throw a bit of crushed up flake where you have the female, she'll either spit the babies and start eating (this is when you take out the female) or she'll ignore it and wait until after dark or when there is no 'traffic' and release the babies to feed.....I have got 1 aulunocara strawberry peacock fm doing exactly that, has been for about a week or so, only get to see the babies with a torch after lights out.

terrancetheoscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Kalgoorlie
thanks dude for this it's an interesting post kind makes me remember my childhood except dad wasn't a cannibal just a can of beans mind you he did poke me with a for some times and my brother did say quote Stick a fork in me I'm done"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store