high ammonia in a cycled tank,,,

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
I would try doing some filter maintenance and a water change to start. Sometimes a lot of crud gets stuck in the canister filters and it restricts flow and could be messing with the ammonia

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
I have a simple question for u guys , if a weekly water change is good then what happen if your time to change the filter? How do I do a water change and a filter clean ? Does that mean I skip a week of water change?

Xia

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
It won't hurt to do a water change and filter clean at the same time. I would say it's actually beneficial since a water change would help your filter recover a little after disturbing the beneficial bacteria

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
make sure to never clean your filter media in tap water, always old tank water, not sure that needs to be said but putting it out there. I would have the filters on a rotation, never all at the same time, what bio media do you use? ceramic noodles, seachem matrix, bio balls? sponges and floss are really not good bio filtration but mech filtration.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
make sure to never clean your filter media in tap water, always old tank water, not sure that needs to be said but putting it out there. I would have the filters on a rotation, never all at the same time, what bio media do you use? ceramic noodles, seachem matrix, bio balls? sponges and floss are really not good bio filtration but mech filtration.
Biohome ,

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you on city water yes? treated water?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
always always always rinse out your bio media, this includes noodles, matrix, sponges, pads everything in old tank water. treated tap water kill your bio media, putting you back in cycle. add prime for tank size, not water replacing BEFORE you start filling the tank. I personally use a 5g bucked with the tanks emptying into it while i rinse out my media in it.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
you will need to dose the tank with prime every other day and do water changes every other day till ammonia reads 0, and nitrite reads 0 and showing nitrates. ammonia bad, nitrites worse, single dose of prime will handle up to 2 ppm of both ammonia and nitrite, the reason for every other day is prime lasts up to 48 hours, after that it releases the bind back into the water, prime does not remove but binds making it inert until it wares out. can dose up to 5 times recommended dosage but has a diminishing return, max dose will handle 4ppm. I would stick with single, do the water changes and test the tank cycle kicks back in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store