hole in the head

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
i don't know how i had missed this been busy with work and holidays. just acquired less than a month ago on a impulse it was a at a special price. did not pay to much attention due to his fish are usually good. i hate to omit it but i do not even know if he had this when purchased or if he got this after i acquired him. he is eating fine i think thats why i didn't notice that is usually what i am focusing on when i am busy is if everyone is eating or not and everything els is secondary. sorry pic is not good look in between his eyes. any recommendations besides the usual clean water.
thanks
john

hole in the head ray 002.JPG

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Wow.. I didn't know the hexamita virus could infect a ray like that..

I wonder if it is more of a developmental defect like batman rays unfused disc?

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
i don't know , but this freaks me out
i agree i did not know it effects rays like this
i would figure a ray couldn't take this kind of severity
john

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
csx4236;1361071; said:
I have only seen this with rays that are not eating and very sick. What is the hexamita virus?
Hexamita aka hole in the head..

I had a malnourished ray stop eating one day, and started wasting away like this the next.. However, this ray seems to be healthier and more full-bodied than the fresh import that 'melted'..

rc604

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2006
West Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's not HITH like Oscars get. If you look carefully, its not eroded, but is sunken in. It's sunken in forehead is indicative of a malnourished ray. How is the ray eating? Aggressively? What are you feeding and how often? Have you treated the ray with PraziPro since you got it? If not, it might be a good idea. Rays often have internal parasites when they come in. You said that it eats, so it shouldn't look like that, especially after a month.

Rosewood022

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Troy, MI
rc604;1361212; said:
That's not HITH like Oscars get. If you look carefully, its not eroded, but is sunken in. It's sunken in forehead is indicative of a malnourished ray. How is the ray eating? Aggressively? What are you feeding and how often? Have you treated the ray with PraziPro since you got it? If not, it might be a good idea. Rays often have internal parasites when they come in. You said that it eats, so it shouldn't look like that, especially after a month.
I agree- This dent in the head is indicitive of major weight loss. I've seen this on many imported rays. Usually the ray is not eating at all and eventually dies. If it is eating, then it's probably a parasite, and rc604 is right suggesting prazi pro.

Pat
Amazon Stingrays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store