hole in the head

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
That ray needs to eat. I am willing to bet that the hip bones are very exposed.

Start offering it lots of live blackworms and live earthworms.

I would say that it is at a critical stage. It won't last long.

Colin

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I can agree that it is not hexamita.. more undernourishment.

but it makes me wonder.. does hexamita effect rays, but we are oblivious to the fact because they do not create the same type of lesions that you would see in Cichlids? The internal form would more than likely effect the ray, perhaps causing it to become malnourished, thus causing this erosion of the body?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
every ray i have seen like that was on its way out. black worms and red wigglers... prazi pro is not a bad idea

interesting there miles... i dont think so though but it could be possible

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
my male marble had a similar hole when he wasnt eating after import. became worse after 2 weeks of not eating but as soon as he started pigging on the food, the hole became less deep and it is completely gone now. he showed a similar trend on his hips.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
i have been out of town for the past few days just wanted to give a update on the ray.
i moved it into a 60 breeder to isolate it trying to keep ray at 82 feeding trout worms it is eating ok. i used prazi when i got him. i plan to re-dose in a few days just want to power feed for a couple days to increase his apatite. it is head is sunken in and not hexamita. i don't know what happened i guess the ray might of been just hovering over the food and not eating? got tied up with work and just doing the norm maintenance. hopefully it will pull through I'm feeling like it will. if you think i should be doing something different let me know.
thanks
john

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Just keep feeding it whatever you can. I brought a flower ray in the past out of that. It means it has no fat storage in ts tail and then the fat pulls frm between the eyes. The ray needs to eat and fast. Feed it any and everything multiple times a day. Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store