How did you get into fishkeeping?

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
My father kept fish for as long back as could remember, so I grew up with fish tanks and always had an interest. Started out with Dempseys and still my favorite fish to date.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Some really interesting stories! I'm less than a year in and am already onto what I consider a monster tank, wonder where I'll go from here!

lyfeoffishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
florida
Well it all started from fishing for me. A year ago me and a buddy where snook fishing using mayan cichlids as bait stored in a 40-50 gallon livewell. Long story short fishing sucked and we had 15 cichlids at the end of the night and we didn't want to let them go so we kept them in the livewell and I took then home. Saved them for 8 days in the livewell till we went fishing again. Now I have a 55 gallon tank getting ready to stock it now (tropical not monsterfish yet). Already have a 180 planned for when I finish college and get a house will be a amazon themed tank.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
My latest fish keeping adventure started when I bought a condo and then read I cant have a dog. They had no issue with a 500g tank in the basement though :screwy:

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
My father had a couple of small tanks at home (15gallon).
When I was 7 I started helping him and when I was 10 I started taking care of the tanks by myself. That was 35 years ago...

lyfeoffishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
florida
My latest fish keeping adventure started when I bought a condo and then read I cant have a dog. They had no issue with a 500g tank in the basement though :screwy:
😂😂 my condo said the same.

Condo association:"No pets"
Me:"how about an aquarium and fish?"
Condo association:"fish aren't pets so that's fine if your on the first floor"
Me:"okay!!!!"

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My dad had a 180 gallon when I was young (2 or 3) and he said I would just stare at the tank for hours. I always had an interest in fish. I fished every hour i could and i went snorkling in nastly places when i was younger. I swam in the river, the ditches, the ponds, and the odd bog (my parents owned a marina). I loved looking at fish. Then when I was about 8 I netted a small largemouth bass. I tossed it in a 5 gallon hex and that's when it started. I got an old 10 gallon that used to be for the gecko and made it into a native
Tank. I had 11 largemouth bass juveniles in there at one time and they were being fed 60 minnows a day that I caught. Most fascinating thing I've ever seen. The tank was only filtered with an under gravel filter made for the 5 gal hex. I never lost a fish in this tank. The next year I got a 20 gallon. Then I upgraded to a 65 gallon I got for free when I was 12. When I was 14 I got a 90 for Christmas and now at 17 I bought the 200 gallon. Currently keeping 5 gars in it but I picked up another one today. At 10$ it was steal of a deal

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
some of my earliest memories are of my dad building a 120 gallon in wall tank in the basement, and of my grandfathers stacks of 10 gallons in their back room. anemones on one wall, guppies on the opposite wall.
while the numbers of tanks decreased, my grandfather bred guppies until (literally) the day he died.
my dad gave up on the hobby a few years ago at the age of 73.
I'm still going strong from my first tank at 9 years old and I'm heading hard into 50.. my brother is getting back into it after a few years off, despite being responsible for shattering my first tank while playing fetch with the dog using a real bone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store