How did you get into fishkeeping?

JTU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2014
Hawaii
The first fish I owned was a betta that my dad got from a fair. From that point on, I was obsessed. I currently own a 55g along with a pair of Jacks. If I ever get more space at my house, I would happily buy more tanks.

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
A friend was upgrading his tank and offered me a 10 gallon for free. My wife wasn't keen on the idea but since the tank was free she acquiesced. Pretty soon he was offering me a 20 gallon for free. At that point I started growing out fish to the point that they need a bigger tank. I bought a 55 gallon and then added a 48 gallon. At that point the pike cichlid I had bought with the explanation that it would grow to 8 inches was now pushing 12 inches, so as soon as I had the space I upgraded to a 150 gallon.

seanxwarp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
San Diego and Philippines
I got into fishkeeping when i was 5 and saw my aunt with a type of asian arowana, I was amazed by the colors and how it ate and knew that it was my fascination. My grandparents built a 2500 gallon tank and a 500 growout tank for me when i was 10. With the help of my family, i could stock the tank with arowanas, a red tail cat, 2 fly river turtles, a piraiba, and a gator gar. Sadly, i had to give the fish and turtles away when i moved to US.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
My family kept guppies and gold fish. They seemed hardy but never lasted long . I rescued my first fish when I was 19 years old at a party. They were going to flush it and I decided to take it home in a plasic pop cup. I do believe it was a blue zebra. It's been a few years ... so my memory is faded !

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I have my father, and every one around are fish keepers. So it's in the family.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Came from a big family and parents who earned modest income. We had 1 TV for everyone to share. I decided to ask for a 10 gallon tank and guppies for me to work on and enjoy. Later I bought a Frontosa (my favorite) but died in that 10 gallon after he ate all the guppies. So I bought more guppies.

After college, I bought a 55 gallon tank with Tetras with my 2nd paycheck.

Years later, I can finally afford to purchase a 125 gallon tank.....yes...I now have a colony of Frontosa !!

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Did some work for a farmer and he wouldn't pay me so my dad made him give me a 55 gallon set up for the money he owned me. I was only 8 at the time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store