How do u change the water?

Tiller11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2012
Kansas, United States
I still use buckets... I use a hose to take water out while im fillin up a bucket in the shower then add dechlorinator to it and dump it in while another bucket is filling up in the shower... Repeat as needed... I dnt like not knowimg exactly how much dechlorinator to use. Cause I got a 220 so I dnt wanna over or under add. But I do like 15 gal water changes daily to clean sand and one big one at the end of the week

japbart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks everyone. So i dont have to let the water sit for a day? Thats what i usually do. When i add prime will it instantly eliminate ammonia and chloramines in the water?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

prskiller

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
In a 10g tank w/wife n kids
Prime or Safe is pretty instant. Been using them for some time now and I dose the tank and add water. So if I do a 50% water change in my 210g tank I dose for 210 gallons, not 100.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks everyone. So i dont have to let the water sit for a day? Thats what i usually do. When i add prime will it instantly eliminate ammonia and chloramines in the water?
No, you do not need to let the water sit for a day. When adding prime, it neutralizes chlorine and binds ammonia (from chloramine) into ammonium which is not harmful to fish. Your bacterial colony pics up the ammonium just as it would ammonia from every day fish keeping/feeding. Someone will come along and correct me in the exact process but none the less, that's it in a nut shell.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio

Take the water out and before you put new water in dose for the tank volume. You can safely dose 5x the amount if the nitrates are really really high so don't worry about using a little more to dose your tank. It will nuetralize ammonia and chloramines. Don't worry.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
I use my siphon vac to drain the water into a big trashcan style container then I still use buckets and dump it into my tank like that then I use the dirty water for my lawn... I plan to figure out something way easier with like a button to defill and a button to fill lol!

japbart

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2012
Los Angeles
Since i dont need to let the water sit i guess I'll just use the buckets so i know how much prime to put. Lets say i took out 35 gallons of water should i dose for 35 gallons or more?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store