How do you clean your sumps?

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Thanks Krich... Thats a reminder for me ;)

I run a pump in the bio section with a smaller 4" dia socks. But, I still have to vacuum.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
+1 Wet/Dry Vac. I used it a few times on the sump when I first put the tank/sump system together. To be honest, I've not cleaned my sump once the system has been up and running. There are little breakdown of food/poop at the bottom (looks more like a light mush LOL), but it has not affected my water parameters. Having said that, I have been meaning to suck some of that up just to keep things "tidy".

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also use filter socks in sumps, so it takes about a year to get gunky.
And because I just keep biomedia in mesh bags, I occasionally pull the bags out, swish them around in water change water, then drop them back in, and the sump is ready to go.
I also have overhead refugiums, the roots of plants tend to collect debris and get really gunky, they can be vacuumed though.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That photo reminds me of the tree roots that get into my sewer pipe.
I put off using the sock until I can set up a better way to position it.The way that I had it the hose for the incoming tank water was placed inside of the sock which was basically sitting right on the drip plate.It apeared to me that fewer bio balls were trickled upon than could or should be.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I run 50 micron socks so my sump stays fairly clean. My sumps have no baffles and bio is in lingerie bags so once a month I rinse the bio in a bucket and vacuum the sump every few months. I made my stand a little on the tall side for easy access.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store