How Do You Properly Clean Sponge Media?

electroshadow

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2013
uk
I have always just washed sponges and filter media, that is only being used as mechanical filtration straight under the tap. As I want this media fully unclogged and clear ready to work to its full potential.

bio media on he other had only gets sloshed around in removed tank water or pre treated tap water

I have always just washed sponges and filter media, that is only being used as mechanical filtration straight under the tap. As I want this media fully unclogged and clear ready to work to its full potential.

bio media on he other had only gets sloshed around in removed tank water or pre treated tap water
Me too.

Biomax is my bacterial host. The sponges do dual duty mechanical and biological. If i destroy some bb when i rinse them in tap water, so be it. My biomax is never rinsed under straight tap water. Always Prime treated water. I've been doing this for a decade plus without any issues.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
I've always washed my sponges/mechanical media out with garden hoses or kitchen sprayers never had any bad effects.

I once had a planted tank before with several varieties of tetras, the smallest being the Neon Tetra, I did a 30 percent water change and WHILE I was doing the water change, I notice several of my neon tetras started swimming upside down and twisting, most of them died shortly, the larger tetras and barbs survived, must be the chlorine. Now, if the "giant" neon tetras (a giant compared to the BB) dies with the water change, what does this water change do to the BB colony ?

I once had a planted tank before with several varieties of tetras, the smallest being the Neon Tetra, I did a 30 percent water change and WHILE I was doing the water change, I notice several of my neon tetras started swimming upside down and twisting, most of them died shortly, the larger tetras and barbs survived, must be the chlorine. Now, if the "giant" neon tetras (a giant compared to the BB) dies with the water change, what does this water change do to the BB colony ?
But he didn't mention anything about washing out BB holding media, or am i missing something?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You are assuming because bacteria are smaller they are more fragile than complex life forms, but in actuality its typically the reverse. Scientists claims that bacteria (& cockroaches?) stands a greater chance of surviving a nuclear blast than other living things. Plus, neons are not exactly touted for their hardiness

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
I could be wrong but as far as I understand bacteria in general is hard to kill. People use all sorts of chemicals and still some strains survive. I'm not sure if the bacteria we deal with in aquarium filters are like that but they could be.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

There is no issue here:

1. If you have adequate beneficial bacteria (BB) host media that is not sponges, that you run in-concert with mechanical sponges, that you do not rinse in non-treated water, you can wash your sponges in non-treated water till the cows come home.

2. Do sponges become BB hosts? Surely, but if run in-concert with other appropriate and adequate medias (see point 1), then you can rinse to your sponges to your hearts content.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'd say this is a completely different premise that what was originally asked. You used untreated water to refill a tank in which case if there is an obscene amount of chlorine in the water then yes that would have a detrimental effect on your stock. If you use chlorinated water to wash media that chlorine will most assuredly break down before your media hits the tank again. Add some Prime to the water and you have nothing to worry about. The bacteria on your media will suffer loses, but nothing that should effect your tank to the point you have to take notice.

UncleZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Wi
Why am I not surprised that you're new here?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You must have gotten your high post count posting crap like this .

New doesn't mean stupid, Ive been a lurker and member (Since 2006, eyezonz), I just wanted a new username and want to actually start posting along with reading. Ive been keep fishing for 13 years. What you need to learn is to stop pressuring people conform to your idiosyncrasies. There is more than one way to do things and a lot of new and old members will tell you tap water is definitely ok. If it wasn't people's tanks would be crashing, killing their stocks when they do massive water changes. water conditioners to not work instantly.

The concentration of chemicals in tap water is no where near high enough to harm enough bacteria to have adverse effects.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store