How Do You Properly Clean Sponge Media?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
You must have gotten your high post count posting crap like this .

New doesn't mean stupid, Ive been a lurker and member (Since 2006, eyezonz), I just wanted a new username and want to actually start posting along with reading. Ive been keep fishing for 13 years. What you need to learn is to stop pressuring people conform to your idiosyncrasies. There is more than one way to do things and a lot of new and old members will tell you tap water is definitely ok. If it wasn't people's tanks would be crashing, killing their stocks when they do massive water changes. water conditioners to not work instantly.

The concentration of chemicals in tap water is no where near high enough to harm enough bacteria to have adverse effects.
I normally wouldn't even bother to respond to those types of remarks, but this does raise a phenomena I see on internet forums: high post count = more credibility. I personally don't believe this (says the guy with the low count, lol). I've been on many other forums on various hobbies and I see a mix of postings. Although I admit I look at a persons post count, I also take inputs based on one's experience and the content and just how many posts they've had.

I soak my mechanical filers (i.e. Socks, sponge, pads) in tap water. In fact, I've also used a very small amount of non-scented chlorine (relative to water mixture) for extra soiled filters. I figure my tank is not too overstocked to begin with, and I'm confident my biological filter has the capacity to do it's job...knock-knock wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store