How Do You Take It To The Next Level?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My next level project was my 25G paludarium... next project will most likely be a full on planted shrimp tank or a larger paludarium / riparium...

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Current project is my 225 gallon. I guess the "next level" tank for me right now is the stereotypical bigger tank. :) I got rid of 3 of my tanks and got this big one, now I am down to 4--225, 125, 90, 20.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
My 300 was actually almost the easiest tank to build.........and keep. The only thing next level, really, was the bill lol.

Next for me is an L46 breeding project. Kind of expensive experiment, but I already have 3 tanks and filtration ready to be set up. Sump is in pieces all over my garage. Pretty much the only thing Im missing, other than a little luck, is the stock.............you, know the expensive part lol

should be challenging to say the least.

m1ste2tea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Syracuse, NY
taking it to the next level?

take a look at your nano tank, a long look, and notice where you have made compromises, either by the use of the given product supplies or just compromises of your own based on time or money. the devil is in the details. there are always things that you can improve such as the visible tubes and diffuser, the rock arrangement, how even is the dirt profile on the glass, the overall incline of the dirt, the cast shadow on the wall in the background, the calligraphy symbol, the MFK sticker(overpowering), the light wire, all of these things can be modified easily now that you're working with a small scale. start sweating the small stuff.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
I've done freshwater since I was a little kid (15ish years now) and done a little bit of everything including a few fairly successful planted tanks. I've been cutting back my aquarium hobby preparing to move out, but now I got a job at an aquarium store again and after a few more weeks, my excellent employee discount will kick in. I cut back to 2 tanks, but now I have 4 and within the next few months will probably be back up to 7, haha.

One new thing I've started recently is a small collection of retro Metaframe tanks. I currently am setting up an Amazon community in a 55, have a 10 gallon set up brackish and setting up a second 10.

My next step is salt. I've had my first salt tank set up for 3 months now and I'm starting to get into soft corals. I'm also doing a small puffer/mangrove brackish tank that I set up a couple weeks ago.

I'm also doing a couple FW setups I've always wanted to try but never have. In a 29, I'm doing a tiger barb/skunk botia combo planted tank cause I've heard it's a fun combo. My 65 is going to be a Lake Tanganyika community. I still have one syno cat from my first Tang. tank from 10 years ago that will be going into this tank. These will both probably be a couple months out yet.

This next week, I'll be upgrading my shrimp to a 10 gallon Metaframe and doing a heavily planted setup with DIY CO2 in it with some dwarf rasboras and maybe a tiny gourami species or something. I've really been getting into the nano tank thing recently.

So in summary, new directions in the hobby for me lately: salt, collecting old tanks, nano tanks

Looking forward to seeing how that little planted tank turns out for you

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
I went with a low tech soil based planted in my 100. Loved it but it is now time for a change. Not sure what the next thing is going to be for me.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
I went to the next level right off the bat with a 180gal hi tech planted discus tank. Whoops! I hadnt had a tank in several years and never kept Discus or plants. 3 wc's a week was a PITA and I ate through Co2 like crazy! It was beautiful but ended up being to much work. I down graded to a low tech and eventually did away with the plants sold all my Discus less my brilliant turq's that I bred and eventually sold. Now I on too easy SA's. Ill plants again but I guarantee discus wont be in there!

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
My 300 was actually almost the easiest tank to build.........and keep. The only thing next level, really, was the bill lol.

Next for me is an L46 breeding project. Kind of expensive experiment, but I already have 3 tanks and filtration ready to be set up. Sump is in pieces all over my garage. Pretty much the only thing Im missing, other than a little luck, is the stock.............you, know the expensive part lol

should be challenging to say the least.
My 225 is a bit more complicated than some other big tanks. 3D backgrounds take time and planning. ;)

taking it to the next level?

take a look at your nano tank, a long look, and notice where you have made compromises, either by the use of the given product supplies or just compromises of your own based on time or money. the devil is in the details. there are always things that you can improve such as the visible tubes and diffuser, the rock arrangement, how even is the dirt profile on the glass, the overall incline of the dirt, the cast shadow on the wall in the background, the calligraphy symbol, the MFK sticker(overpowering), the light wire, all of these things can be modified easily now that you're working with a small scale. start sweating the small stuff.
Jeez, rude post of the week. :chillpill:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store