how fast did/does your green terror grow?

jagsandpits

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
NewYork
I think mine is a female, by the time my Dempsey was his size you cud notice the long pointy fin and I was able to figure out he was a male, with my g.t the fin is rounded. its about 3 or 4 inches and idk about the sex , maybe their like jags unsexable until around 6-7 inches. my Dempsey was accurately sexed very early tho ,still hope I have a male gt

Catfish57

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2024
My GT was approx. 3.5” when I bought it at a LFS a few weeks ago. Now she’s about 4.5” b/c I’ve been feeding her pretty generously. She was one of 3 GT’s in the store when I bought her. She was also slightly bigger and the boss of the three. That’s why I thought she was a male, but the dorsal fin has no long, sharp ending so now I’m leaning female. I was hoping for a male but I do like growing them from juvenile so it’s all good. The fish is very eager looking for food when I approach the glass. I don't want to overfeed her but she’s a gamer. I really like this species. I’m already shopping for a bigger tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The most important factors for growth in any cichlid, are water changes.
In nature these species are in 100% water changes every day, all day..... so
Water changes reduce the build up of growth inhibitors like hormones and nitrate.
If you do one 50% water change every 2 weeks, it will grow slower than if you do one 50% water change every week,
or it will grow faster if you do two 50% water changes per week etc etc..
This is why many breeders that want to get their fish to market faster, will do a 50% water change every day.
Below is a shot taken where I catch Andinoacara coerleopunctatus, close cousin to GTs
IMG_4378.jpeg
As you can see by the current in the river where I catch them below, they are not sitting in any hormone or nitrate concentrations very long.
IMG_6951.jpeg

Last edited:

Catfish57

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2024
The most important factors for growth in any cichlid, are water changes.
In nature these species are in 100% water changes every day, all day..... so
Water changes reduce the build up of growth inhibitors like hormones and nitrate.
If you do one 50% water change every 2 weeks, it will grow slower than if you do one 50% water change every week,
or it will grow faster if you do two 50% water changes per week etc etc..
This is why many breeders that want to get their fish to market faster, will do a 50% water change every day.
Below is a shot taken where I catch Andinoacara coerleopunctatus, close cousin to GTs
View attachment 1541019
As you can see by the current in the river where I catch them below, they are not sitting in any hormone or nitrate concentrations very long.
View attachment 1541020
Thanks for the tip. I understand that the pro breeders are constantly feeding fresh water into their tanks. For me it’s just 25% twice a week. I’m using 5gl buckets and it’s about all I can do on my forty gl. I’ve got some bad tendinitis so I’m limited. I realize I could do slightly more gls or more frequent and I may be headed that way. My local guy Steve at Lovely Pets (all fish) in MA is great and he says it’s all about the water, too. Thanks

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Thanks for the tip. I understand that the pro breeders are constantly feeding fresh water into their tanks. For me it’s just 25% twice a week. I’m using 5gl buckets and it’s about all I can do on my forty gl. I’ve got some bad tendinitis so I’m limited. I realize I could do slightly more gls or more frequent and I may be headed that way. My local guy Steve at Lovely Pets (all fish) in MA is great and he says it’s all about the water, too. Thanks
What you need is a Python water changer.
You connect it to a faucet and it does all the work. Turn the valve one way and it siphons the tank. The other way you can refill.

Makes water changes super easy.
You don't have to keep the water running for the siphon to work. Once I get it started I disconnect the hose from the "pump assembly" and run it outside for outdoor plants or into the bathtub. When refilling you can set the exact temperature via your hot and cold knobs.

Here is am draining a 125 for its water change.
20210228_092355.jpg

Reactions: Cal Amari

Catfish57

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2024
What you need is a Python water changer.
You connect it to a faucet and it does all the work. Turn the valve one way and it siphons the tank. The other way you can refill.

Makes water changes super easy.
You don't have to keep the water running for the siphon to work. Once I get it started I disconnect the hose from the "pump assembly" and run it outside for outdoor plants or into the bathtub. When refilling you can set the exact temperature via your hot and cold knobs.

Here is am draining a 125 for its water change.
View attachment 1541127
Yah, I hear you. My issue is it’s an old house and the bathroom fixtures don’t accommodate my python tubing. So it’s lugging the buckets as long as I’ve got these fixtures. My water temp fluctuates a lot too. So I try to keep up with the water quality. I’ve stared doing changes every 4 days instead of weekly. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store