How fast should nitrate accumulate?

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I am assuming that a 20 gallon or 200 gallon. Will increase about the same ppm rate if stocked and fed porpotionatly.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Upon a first read the suggestion in your post seems correct. There is a nagging suspicion that there is an advantage with the larger volume of water even at equivalent stocking densities. There is often expressed that the bigger the tank is, the better.

I guess you are thinking of pumps and other things being scaled up in the same manner?

There is an inverse square rule that can be applied to body size in warm blooded animals, but I am not sure this can apply to cold blooded fish.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Hello; Upon a first read the suggestion in your post seems correct. There is a nagging suspicion that there is an advantage with the larger volume of water even at equivalent stocking densities. There is often expressed that the bigger the tank is, the better.

I guess you are thinking of pumps and other things being scaled up in the same manner?

There is an inverse square rule that can be applied to body size in warm blooded animals, but I am not sure this can apply to cold blooded fish.
I am thinking about purigen.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am thinking about purigen.
Hello; I am not familiar with the use of purigen, but gather it is a product to help control nitrates. There is a thread running currently with a discussion about nitrates. Water changes and live plants are perhaps the more common way to try to reduce nitrates. The use of a plant called "pothos" is apparently used. It is an emergent plant than can have submerged root and needs little light. I think the thread is about high nitrates in tap water.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Hello; I am not familiar with the use of purigen, but gather it is a product to help control nitrates. There is a thread running currently with a discussion about nitrates. Water changes and live plants are perhaps the more common way to try to reduce nitrates. The use of a plant called "pothos" is apparently used. It is an emergent plant than can have submerged root and needs little light. I think the thread is about high nitrates in tap water.
Thank you

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I am assuming that a 20 gallon or 200 gallon. Will increase about the same ppm rate if stocked and fed porpotionatly.
Nitrate is a chemical that acts like most other stable chemicals. If added at 10x the rate to 200 gallons of water (as it was to 20 gallons of water), then there will be identical levels in ppm. Again it assumes everything is 10x the level in proportion.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Nitrate is a chemical that acts like most other stable chemicals. If added at 10x the rate to 200 gallons of water (as it was to 20 gallons of water), then there will be identical levels in ppm. Again it assumes everything is 10x the level in proportion.
I'm probably being thick here, but that proportion is spread over a volume 10x the size; so even though it may read the same, I would have thought the effects of it would be thinner across the same tank, as opposed to a 20 gallon where it is concentrated...

That's me looking at it, as in for example a single oscar in a 20g vs a 200 gallon

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'm probably being thick here, but that proportion is spread over a volume 10x the size; so even though it may read the same, I would have thought the effects of it would be thinner across the same tank, as opposed to a 20 gallon where it is concentrated...

That's me looking at it, as in for example a single oscar in a 20g vs a 200 gallon
Well, he said if stocked and fed proportionately. I read that to mean if there was one oscar being fed a total of 20 grams of pellets a day in the 20, that there would then be 10 oscars being fed a total of 200 grams of pellets a day in the 200.

In your example, the oscar count (and feed amount) are unchanged, so in that case it would be a lower nitrate ppm as you said.

Last edited:
Reactions: convict360

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I will try to be clearer. After a water change nitrate is 10 ppm. As time passes the nitrates seem to accumulate to 100 ppm then 200ppm.
Is their a ratio about ppm per week increase. That indicates a dead fish or something is wrong.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I will try to be clearer. After a water change nitrate is 10 ppm. As time passes the nitrates seem to accumulate to 100 ppm then 200ppm.
Is their a ratio about ppm per week increase. That indicates a dead fish or something is wrong.
that indicates overfeeding or way too many fish in the tank if your nitrates get that high that fast.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store