how frequent do you feed your tigers?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
you are all talking about salt water foods which are not good for a FW fish would you let your kids eat loads of salt
I'm not going to bother to answer that question but the filet that I feed to my fish are freshwater and there are freshwater shrimp in some of the markets here as well.

bcarlos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aside from whether or not they're healthier for your fish (which I do agree that they are), pellets are just cleaner and easier.

I feed my larger dats 3 times a week, on pellets, until they can't eat anymore. Younger ones get fed every day, sometimes twice a day if I've got the time.

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
ALL tigers should be feed daily no matter what size and they should be fed until they cant eat anymore

most people under feed there tigers thats why they say they are slow growing

and as for feeding prawn or shrimp its like feeding them bits o wet cotton wool it fills them up but has nothing in it

pellets are the best for tigers to grow and stay healthy FACT
Is that true ? Will a fish actually give you an indication that they are full ? I can't see that happening with my oscars. They will eat all night if I would let them. I am usually generous with the food, I always thought I over-fed but they are always act like they are still hungry. I feed once a day, pellets.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
im still driving that black car but its white to you

if shrimp is so great can you explain the big difference in growth between a tiger who only eats prawn and another that eats pellets

i only ask as you must have done the 4 years testing i have to prove your point

most aros grow at 1inch per month even with min feeding you cant compair a fish that grows fast like a aro to something people say grows slow like a tiger

you say yourself you stuff the prawn with pellets why bother if they dont boost growth
My last post was not about pellets vs. shrimp comparison. But it was only a response straight to your comparing shrimps to "bits o wet cotton wool it fills them up but has nothing in it", which is bull****.

And about your comment about salt, I'm actually more concerned about pellets having more salt in them than in freshwater RAW shrimp and fish fillets. Think about it for a minute...

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
most aros grow at 1inch per month even with min feeding you cant compair a fish that grows fast like a aro to something people say grows slow like a tiger
but I can guarantee you that no fish is going to grow 1" per month if eating "wet cotton wool"

We know you have a lot of experience and knowledge on these fish, but some of the things you say sometimes are just not correct...

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
You also have to do multiple study's. you say your tiger grew faster with pellets than the other that was fed "blank" did you ever stop and think that maybe the one being fed pellets, was just a healthier datnoid to begin with, or possibly genetics had a play, or male / female growth differences? shrimp, or fish cant be compared to trash or as you stated.

but not to derail this thread anymore. I feed my 2 indos once a day 6x a week usually till they cant eat anymore.

in the past i fed my 4 11-16" widebars and 11" ngt, 2x a day and a variety of food. also had a batch of 20 indos at the time pushing 1" 2x a day

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
you are all talking about salt water foods which are not good for a FW fish would you let your kids eat loads of salt
I'm sure your just making a joke here.

I have 9 Dats I bought all at the same time and all were about the size of a quarter when I got them. All have been kept together in a 360. All are fed Tilapia Fillet 75% and Massivore pellets the rest of the time. 1 to 2 times a day. Sizes now range from 3" to 7". I think, just like people, some just grow faster than others.......

FYI: my wife thought the salt joke above was funny too......

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Is that true ? Will a fish actually give you an indication that they are full ? I can't see that happening with my oscars. They will eat all night if I would let them. I am usually generous with the food, I always thought I over-fed but they are always act like they are still hungry. I feed once a day, pellets.
Some Tigers will definitely feed until they're full and then show no further interest in the food. Thats why I never throw a load of pellets/prawn in the tank all in one go but feed them little bits at a time. They stop moving near my hand to let me know they're full when feeding also. Others may differ, as with everything on this forum, but thats my opinion plecostic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store