How I got my white tip reef shark. A cautionary tale on who not to buy from

RoastReef

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
San Martin, CA
Correct, I should have been more clear. That is Dean catching the shark out of the tank, but it's not his shop. Dean's "shop" is in Milpitas, CA and is known as Aqua Top. But what it really all boils down to is that pretty much everything that comes out of Dean's mouth is a lie. Please, nobody support this guy.

kjfan1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Central Iowa
www.djiowa.com
Grats on the great rescue!

Sorry that guy is a jerk. We have a guy like that around here. Well respected church member and all. Kids are home schooled. But he dealt way wrong in the real estate business and screwed over my family bad. My dad was the appraiser and he got taken down in this crooks stupid cons.

I hope this guy gets hit hard.

Jabba954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Bay Area
I'd seen that white tip in his tank months earlier (as I told Turbo when he told me about the situation originally). At the time it looked surprisingly healthy. Glad to hear it went to a good home.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Sad situation.
I will say from first hand experience that white tip reefs heal well from injuries like this. Keep the wound clean, if possible, get it into a holding pool with some kind of antibacterial (nitrofurazone or something similar). You can also pack the would with silver sulfadiazine (commonly sold as Noxema). It will help keep it clean.

Can I ask why a seven gill ? I don't know of many aquariums that keep them. They get pretty big, are known for not doing well and eating almost anything they can fit in their mouth.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
I almost ordered some Cortez Rays from him a couple of months ago. So glad i found a local guy with plenty California Rounds to pick from. Hope your shark does well and heals fast:D

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
Zoodiver;4088812; said:
Sad situation.
I will say from first hand experience that white tip reefs heal well from injuries like this. Keep the wound clean, if possible, get it into a holding pool with some kind of antibacterial (nitrofurazone or something similar). You can also pack the would with silver sulfadiazine (commonly sold as Noxema). It will help keep it clean.

Can I ask why a seven gill ? I don't know of many aquariums that keep them. They get pretty big, are known for not doing well and eating almost anything they can fit in their mouth.
Should he go in nitrofurazone as a bath and go back in the pool or do you mean treat him for a week or so in a holding pool. It would be a little tough for me to keep him in a large holding pool but I could do it.

I did treat him with IM injections of baytril at 10mg/kg of body weight. He just finished his 3rd round of injections last night. also when I would take him out I clean the tail with hydrogen peroxide.
He seems to be doing pretty well now and he ate tonight.
Its really no surprise to me that he ended up like this after the way I saw he was handled. Its really a miracle that he even survived shipping. I was so pissed when I saw the water temp was only 58.

I really hope every one watches those videos and sees how he just rolls the shark in the dirt on the floor.

As for the 7 gill- Dean talked me into it. I have no other excuse than trusting him. He said they were hardy and shipped well. Here was a guy with a flashy web site and great line of bulls**t. I didn't know. Plus there was not much info on them that I could find. I really think they are a cool shark and if the tank is set up just for them they could be kept but I would be hard pressed to get another one cause they are hard to care for and they will need a huge tank. They also seem to have huge problem with rubbing their nose and pectoral fins down raw no mater how big the tank. Maybe tank shape plays a roll? I really don't know and I am not sure.
This 7 gill was doing pretty well up until tuesday when the big bumble bee grouper I got from capo larzo ate it. He also ate my 15" pilot fish. HE HAS GOT TO GO!

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
He is 26" and the 7 gill was 31" and the pilot was 15". Its nuts he even chases the white tip. I am just worried he will eat the lemon or the black tip. Those cost a lot more then a 7 gill. His mouth is very large! I have actually had to have my wife block him with a net so the sharks could get food. There is no filling him up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store