How Important Is Bio Media?

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
I know i made some changes to my setup, and i ended up with huge brown algea bloom.

Changes. Raised water level in sump, covering bio balls. Had bio balls above water scrubbies below.

I added some moss to help lower ph levels.

Tank was up and running 3 months with no major water changes, just a drip. I reworked the spray bars, and since i was gpoing to have to leave wife in charge, i raised water in sump. This was also first big water change.

2 weeks later , all is brown.

probably has nothing to do with bio, i dont know.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
I dont think it does...algae needs 2 things....food and light. I would test nitrates and Phosphates if you can...I bet one or both are high.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Bio media is really important, but many overkill for sure. I think keeping a tank clean with good parms is possible without almost no bio. Thats because it lives in the tank and in your filters whether you want it to or not. Very little is actually needed to do the job. Have you ever read the pond matrix substrate ratio to gallon? A single half pint takes care of 100 gallons. I think its just a marketing stratgey for most companies... they can sell these filters that state they can clean 2000000 gallons... with full baskets they could, thus making them more expensive for lower rates of flow. I think its all a scam, but i still overkill all my filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store