How Important Is Bio Media?

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
So if I can understand in summary? if we do use today's bio media (like the ceramic tublets provided in the AC's) we just don't need to overdo what was aready provided. my tublets have been "cured" with bacteria pits so I like to think I am getting some benefit out of them.

I would also like to think I can thoroughly clean the sponges, then a simple rinse of the bio sacks suffices to keep the cycling going. I include my carbon sack rinsed just for self assurance except when I am medicating.

also, I was planning on splitting my sponge in 1/2 so I can "double" the surface area - doubling only for capturing more particulates, not for bio purposes. make sense?

just trying to understand the points already given - but if I am a bit off-base plse do correct me. thks all!

sushiray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
new windsor/cormwall, ny
marauders30;3377095; said:
i always thought bio media was just a surface for bacteria to grow. i know people even use scrubbers from the 99cent store.
plse clarify for me - I thought the scrubbers/scrubbies (the green pot scrubbers right?) were used to function like a sponge? due to it's tensile strength & interweaving. Am I to understand scrubbers are to be used for bio colonization?

reason I ask is I planned on using scrubbers (in place of adding poly) on top of my sponge then have the ceramic tublet sacks then have my carbon sacks layered in.

did I mis-interpret their usage & purpose?

thks again

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
The main purpose of scrubbies is biofiltration, but they do provide mechanical filtration as well. Part of nc_nutcase's point is that most "mechanical" media are also effective bio media, and vice versa.

If you already have the ceramic media, by all means use it, but the scrubbies are intended to replace that sort of media. They do not replace polyfill, as they cannot catch such fine particles as poly can, but they do capture coarse particles.

You should look up some of the threads here on carbon as well. I and many others are of the opinion that carbon is really only necessary for removing medications or other unusual chemicals, not for day-to-day operation.

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
nc_nutcase;3376872; said:
On the contrary I think I was rather straight forward with my explanation and do not think you should suggest I’m being misleading… I repeatedly talked about the importance of bacteria as well as traditionally labeled “Mechanical Media” serving as adequate surface area for bacteria…
Pardon me if I offended you, that was not my intent. Your actual argument is fine, but you did not clarify that by "bio media" you meant the material sold specifically for that purpose. A casual reader might think you were arguing that biofiltration is not important, which is of course not the point you are making at all.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
No offense taken Noto.

I use the term “Bio Media” in quotes to suggest I am using someone else’s term…

Every surface in the aquarium, including the glass/acrylic walls, can/will/do house bacteria and therefore qualify as “Bio Media”… but referring to every surface in the system as “Bio Media” makes the term fairly useless.

Pot scrubbies are an option for media… and they can/will/do catch larger pieces of waste/debris, but are hard to clean. Therefore I suggest they don’t make efficient “Mechanical Media”… and there are other forms of “Bio Media” that have more surface area per volume… and I don’t feel that adding surface area to the system really helps anything in almost every case, therefore I wouldn’t use pot scrubbies (no offense to anyone who does :D )

Sushiray, I would say your “Conclusion” was overly simplistic and left out a lot of the points I’ve sought out to make in this thread. At this point I would suggest this is an important enough aspect of our hobby and one cluttered with enough confusion and misconception it’s worth understanding the whole thing and not reducing it to a few sentences.

I would like to take a moment to respond to this idea though…

dwilder;3376990; said:
the main thing is do what works for you...
While I agree 100% each of us has the right to filter our tank as we see fit… I do not think we have the equal right to make recommendation to others based on this…

If I had a 75 gal tank filtered by an AC 110 that kept a given stocklist with zero ammonia and zero nitrite… and I sold it to you…

You set it up and kept it the exact same, but added two Eheim canisters stocked with “Bio Media”…

Then a new person asked the question, “What filtration should I use for my 75 gal with the same stock you have?” If you told them “what works for you”, you would be misleading them…

So yes you do have the right to filter your tank as you see fit… BUT… I feel far too many people are providing their own tank with excessive aspects of filtration to the point of being wasteful and convincing new members they should be doing the same.

dwilder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2008
florida
nc i dont really understand your comment what works for you means test your water and add the media necessary to keep your water clean in whatever form works for you each persons tank, water etc is different and needs to be taken into account im not saying put an ac 110 on a 10 gal tank

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Forgive me if someone made this point, but trying to read the entire thread w/ my 3 yr old in the room is futile.

Yes, beneficial bacteria grows on all surfaces in the fish tank - the walls of the tank, the substrate, the mechanical filtration. However, I clean the substrate and walls of the tank, and I change the mechanical sponges every two weeks. I depend on my bio media because I never clean it and I know I always maintain a good number of beneficial bacteria on it. That is why I value having a canister filter. It houses biomedia that I never clean.

ward1066

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2009
kansas
I am a big beliver in excessive filtration and biomedia :D. I feel that the "extra" biomedia sometimes can catch fish waste and food and help break it down and keep it out of the water column. Also minimizes filter maintence. Look at the fx5 compared to the Eheim 2180. One can go maybe 2 months between cleaning and the Ehiem 6-8 mo. This may also be due to canister size also. If you only have a sponge or two in a heavily stocked tank you run the risk of it clogging fast and nitrities/ ammonia spiking IMO.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
dwilder;3377290; said:
nc i dont really understand your comment what works for you means test your water and add the media necessary to keep your water clean in whatever form works for you each persons tank, water etc is different and needs to be taken into account im not saying put an ac 110 on a 10 gal tank
My simple point was… if someone is using excessive overkill… They will likely believe this is what is “necessary” to keep their tank healthy… When in reality it’s excessive overkill…

Which is why I hate seeing threads of “what filter should I use for my XXX gal tank.” and I hate even more reading suggestions of which filter to use. Instead take a minute and explain the simple basic principals of filtration… and direct them to filter reviews…

I long to see the day when someone can come to a forum looking for education, ask their question which will most likely be slightly misworded… and that person actually get the education and not just the “quick answer” which will be customized for ‘your’ tank, not theirs…

…and Dwindler, I do not mean to suggest you have done this, or this is directed at you… it is simply a thought I had which I was inspired to share having read a valid statement you made…

Angler;3377292; said:
Yes, beneficial bacteria grows on all surfaces in the fish tank - the walls of the tank, the substrate, the mechanical filtration. However, I clean the substrate and walls of the tank, and I change the mechanical sponges every two weeks. I depend on my bio media because I never clean it and I know I always maintain a good number of beneficial bacteria on it. That is why I value having a canister filter. It houses biomedia that I never clean.
That is a very valid point… and is an intelligible way to balance your maintenance.

And when recommending filtration to someone describing that approach is very helpful. But suggesting that they should “use an HOB and a canister” really isn’t helpful. This only leads them to believe you are wrong… or someone else who suggests something different is wrong…

I feel that throwing out “the short answer” in response to someone's question is cheating them. If your not interested enough in helping them to explain the logic behind your thought… at least give them the benefit of not being mislead by an unexplained thought…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store